First track day and some issues

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Bazboy, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Bazboy Forum Member

Had my first track session saturday and absolutely loved it, the car handled so well and confidently and the experience as a whole has given me a good idea of what i need to do next which i will cover later when i get a chance to updat my build thread but first a few pics :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So on with the issues, the oil got very hot on track, it hit 120 degrees at one point, i tried to keep an eye on it and take it easy when it got hot but its hard when your having fun, any way towards the end of the day the clutch started to make some nasty ratting noises and then the car just stopped so i rolled into the pit and let it cool down.

After a good cool down it started and sounded fine bar the gearbox/clutch noise.... So i nursed it home, got about half way and the oil buzzer n light came on, it was this point that i realised the car was sounding tappety so i stopped and got a lift with my AA friends.

I initially thought the pump had given up and lost oil pressure but then realised that my low oil pressure sensor was never wired up.... So i have no idea what caused the light n buzzer.

So having looked at it yesterday breifly it still sounds tappety, doesnt smoke, and starts fine... From speaking with a few people what i think has happened is the oil has gotten hot and thin and possibly done the tappets in, hoping it is as easy as this.

Anyone else have any thoughts? The coolant temp never got hot at all the whole day.

Engine is an abf on kjet.

Either way was an awesome day and something i want to do alot more of.

Thanks Dan.