Fitting ABF into MK2 with KR head..

Discussion in '16-valve' started by jaistanley, Jun 18, 2004.

1. jaistanley Forum Member

Finally tore down my KR engine and its a heap. One of the big end bearings had picked up and worn down to the copper all the way round, also filling the strainer with swarf. Not pretty. By the time I've machined the block to accept the new pistons, had the crank re-ground and fitted new oversize bearings it'd be cheaper to fit a new 2 litre block.. So thats what I'm gonna do.

My favourite breakers want to sell me an ABF engine. I know my head will fit and since it's been re-built and gas flowed, i'm gonna fit it.

What I'd like to know is what else I'll have to do to fit it into the MK2. The block is 14-16mm (cant remember) taller. What problems does this cause? Will the inlet manifold foul the bonnet?, especially since I have the sound proofing stuff.

Is the MK3 subframe lower?.. I can get one of these to lower the engine and use my current KR manifold and 8v downpipe. OR I could fit the mk3 manifold and downpipe, then make a cat-replacement pipe to mate to my exhaust.

Can anyone help?? I need to do it ASAP and as cheap as possible as without a car I'm stuck with no way of getting home from uni and no way of getting a job!! AAAAHHH??"!!?!?!

Jai..

PS, what power and torque will I be looking at? [:D] GVK seems to be getting 160-170 with a 9a engine. Wouldn't mind some of that. Can I mod the ABF exhaust cam to be the new inlet?
    Edited by: jaistanley

2. doughnuts Forum Member

i have an abf with supersprint manifold in my rocco
    well torquey, and economical.
    easy to tune i am told.
    why dont you use the whole lump with an 8v rod change
    box?
    Mine is pre 87 i think so no need for key and immobilser.

3. jaistanley Forum Member

I'm not sure i get what u mean.

I have a 16v MK2 currently. It has a flowed head and was v quick for a standard ish 1.8. I've worn it to death but the head just got re-built and is flowed so i will fit that. Will be fitting it with my rod change 16v gearbox and the K-jet from my current set up for an easy life.

A rocco with a 2 litre 16v would be quick as hell.. [:D]

Jai

4. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

I'm running an ABF on mine with ABF head and K-Jet injection.

The throttle cable will catch very slightly on a bonnet strut... simply 'modify' it with a hammer to have no problems.

I'm also using a 1.8 16v box, so that will be no probs.

No need to start messing about with cams as both KR and ABF cams work equally as well..

My car when it was standard made equal power to GVK and there was little to seperate them on track or road...

5. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

the std mk2 8v downpipe will fit in a mk2 with and abf block and kr head

6. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

And sufficient application of high explosive. [:D]

7. cordobabrendy Forum Member

abf block kr head and cams. feels slightly quicker than it used to (100%abf) but it seem to run out of puff in the higher revs now. flow job is being next on list after paint touch ups.

8. jaistanley Forum Member

so which cams shall i use?? The KR ones for ease I suppose.

Just got the engine back. Its really really clean. Had new oil and new plugs in it and the valves look new in the inlet.. Well chuffed it was only 300 notes

Will whip the head off tomorrow. Gonna fit a set of mains and big end bearings I bought for the 1.8. Thjey are standard size ones bought from GSF.. Is this advised??

Many thanks dudes.

Jai

9. cordobabrendy Forum Member

the kr and abf rocker covers are different so youll have to make sure the gaskets are kr items in future, i found this after comparing them only very briefly before buying a new one before the head was put on.