Fitting Coilovers to Golf MK2

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Chrisrpal, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Chrisrpal Events Team

Hi Guys,

Has anyone got a quick help guide into fitting coilovers to a MK2 golf? I have read the grease thread on coilovers and did a search but wanted to see if there was a link or something that tells all.

Also does the small washer that is sandwiched between the shock and spring plate at the front suspension swapped over from the standard suspension setup to the coilovers?

Thanks

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

same as doing normal suspension swap really, the hard part is gettign the top nut undone, if yours come loose then you're laughing. all you need from the old shock is the top mount, threaded bush and upper spring plate up front. you will want new top mounts most likely, and most places that do them also sell the threaded bush anyway:
    http://www.vwspares.co.uk

at the back all you need are the 2 rubber top mounts, plus the sleeves and washers etc between the upper spring plate and the car. basically for both front and rear, you dont need anything on the shock that is between the strut and the top spring plate.

3. lard44 Forum Member

As for greasing the threads on the coilovers be sure to do this - copper grease and PTFE (plumbing) tape seem to be preferred options.

4. Chrisrpal Events Team

My GAZ shcks don't come with dirt damper covers, is this normal for coilovers to have them? GAZ said they don't use them. I personally would like them, so does anyone know where to buy a set from?

5. GTIGADGE Forum Member

I'm running GAZ and have on three previous cars, good coils mate. They use a much coarser thread pitch than standard coils and tbh I've just always copperslipped them without issue.

6. rubjonny

7. Chrisrpal Events Team

8. Jonsie Paid Member Paid Member

9. rubjonny

sorry a mistake there! its not the spring plate I mean it was the upper retaining plate, the one that goes on just before the upper nut and pokes out into the engine bay that stop the shocks falling out if you cant air/jack the car up.

you fit the top mount to the coilover, then the threaded bush, this holds the shock and top mount together, you have to hold the shock still with an allen key/bit in the top of the shock. then fit to car, drop to the ground then fit the retainign plate and upper nut. either use a new vw one or the nylock nut supplied with the coilovers