Fitting MK2 Golf Electric Mirrors

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by damogti, Oct 25, 2003.

1. damogti Forum Junkie

I had a thread on the old forum about this which has unfortunately been lost and i cant remember the replies i had from it.

I know Andy947 gave me some good info regarding where to connect the wires in this picture....

[​IMG]

If someone could enlighten me again i would most apeciate it.

2. Nordoff Forum Junkie

I think I saved it, I'll have a look on me pc.

3. Nordoff Forum Junkie

4. MattECD New Member

Damogti, can you tell me where you got the mirrors from as i need a pair?

Thanks

5. damogti Forum Junkie

Your a star Gav!!! Thanks mate :p I usually print these things off but didnt as i wasnt expecting the forum to crash!!

Matt,

I got them from ebay for about 50 posted. This included loom, swicth and the mirrors.

Keep an eye on ebay on the PVW and CGTI classified sections as they do appear from time to time......

;)

6. MattECD New Member

Thanks mate.

7. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

i got mine for that price too and they rock, andy947 help me fit them over MSN as well [:D]

8. damogti Forum Junkie

Did you have any problems when doing it??

How did you connect the wire for the heating element to the rear screen circuit??

9. Dave J Forum Member

My Jetta came with them as standard!!! :p No leccy windows though......yet. Got some in me runabout so will swap them soon.

10. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Sorry to resurect this old post, but I've just got meself a set of electric mirrors which I thought came with the entire loom but it seems I was wrong! All I have are the two door looms from either side and the switch.

On the right hand loom I have a 6 pin connector with 6 wires coming out of it, but the left loom only has 5 bare wires, I assume the left hand loom should have the same/similar connector attached, and both of these plug into the side of the car somehow?

I also assume that all I need to do is somehow connect all the wires of the same colour between each loom together except the yellow/black 'live' wire which goes straight to the fusebox?

11. damogti Forum Junkie

These are the threewires you should be left with. Yellow/Black goes to the fuse box for power, the green/white goes to the heated rear window circuit to operate the heating element in the mirror and brown is earth.

As far as i can remember there should be a three or four pin plug at each end and on the drivers side (right side) loom there should be a big plug with quite a few wires (six or more) coming out of it for the switch.

If you need more info let me know and i'll have a look at my loom.

12. rubjonny

Well this is what I've got: Clicky

From what I've found out I should have alot more wire from the passenger side loom and it should connect to the driver side via a 6 pin plug?

So what I need is to connect the blue/black, black, white, white/green and brown to the passenger loom, and have the black/yellow and brown connected to the fusebox and the white/green to the back of the rear demister switch?
    Edited by: rubjonny

13. damogti Forum Junkie

Either the black or the white (cant remember off hand) are for electric windows i think so can be taken out (use whatever plugs fit the mirrors and get rid of the other one.)

The left hand side should have a bit extra on to it which connected to the round plug as far as i can remember.

Andy947 has done this and knows a lot about it so it maybe worth pm'ing him and asking his advise. I'll have a look at the loom i have too and see if i can work out how you can wire them up getting round the missing bit.

14. rubjonny

both the white and black plugs are needed for the mirrors, not sure why VW decided to have 2 plugs but never mind :)

I think the large round plug fits into the door frame, I don't suppose anyone knows where I can buy these plugs on the web, I heard someone say that there was a website that does them, or maybe I can get them direct from VW?

15. damogti Forum Junkie

VW will sell them and there is another place that sells every type of electrical connector going that is found on a car.

I'll try and find out what the place is and i'll have a look at the wirg for my mirrors and refresh my memory! I'm sure that my mirrors have one plug fitted to them.

16. DarkAngel Forum Member

One of you guys might be able to help me out...

Neither of my electric mirrors work properly, they sort of adjust, you can hear a whirring noise, then when they reach a certain point they "snap" back to their original position...they used to adjust further than they do now, and I can't adjust them to see properly so if anyones got any advice that would be great!

Also, my Golf is a 91 1.8gl model, it has heated washer jets, and has a couple of wires attached to the back of the mirror glass, does this mean they are heated as well?

Chris.

17. damogti Forum Junkie

Yes, the mirrors would be heated.

Have you tried taking the glass out of each and gining the motors behind a good clean?? It could be that there is loads of crap caught up which is restricting the movement of the glass........

18. vw scottie Forum Member

Try www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk they may have what your looking for

19. rubjonny

Cheers for that, now I know where I'm going to find all the wiring I need from now on :)

P.S. How do you tell what feeds are earth and what are live on the back of a MK2 fuse box?