Fitting repacement CCM to MK4 GTI

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by Richard Mk2, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

I'm going to be fitting a new CCM into my MK4 as the remote, central locking ect is playing up.

Has anyone successfully fitted one ?

A few questions that are bugging me -

1. Will my fobs work with the new CCM fitted? Afaik the CCM only controls functions such as - remote and central locking, electric windows and the alarm.

Please correct me if I'm wrong ;)

2. Can VAGCOM be used to programme my fey fobs to work again ?

3 . Am i right in thinking that the immobiliser side of the key is only to do with the clocks and ECU, and not the CCM?

So basically, is the CCM just plug and play ?

Any help would be great.

Cheers. :thumbup:

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Before you do that, have you disconnected the battery and left it for 1/2 hr or so?

Sometimes enough to re-set the CCM. ;)

3. Richard Mk2

I'm sure I did try that before, but will give it another go once I get it back tomorrow :thumbup:

I just want the keyfob and central locking working again. Going to sell it soon, and want to make sure everything is working beforehand :)

4. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

You don't need vag com to pair the fobs to the car
    Have a look in the hand book it shows you how the do it

Yes the immobiliser is just the clocks and ECU so that part will not be affected

Never looked at changing the ccm but don't think it can be that hard
    Could be worth looking on the Ross tech web site

5. Richard Mk2

Cheers Mushy :thumbup:

Been doing some reading the last hour or so, and apparently broken wires in the tailgate loom can cause some odd symptoms !

Never thought it would be related, but apparently so :)

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/516181/3561746.aspx

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/496509/3416533.aspx

Determined to sort these problems out before I sell it on.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

just be aware there are many, many combinations of CCM units so be 100% sure which one you need before you buy. Trust me on that one I have loads of them left over :lol: main thing is scan it with VAGCOM and note the part number AS WELL AS the colour/component code, since there are many different colour codes for the same part number which determines the spec of the CCM. golf, bora, estate or passat functions (mainly differ on the boot lock/pop functions), alarm, interior monitoring, dumb horn or battery backup horn, etc etc. Note there is no way to check the coding once the unit is out of the car as it isnt printed on the case (unless it was bought new from VW it'll be on the part number sticker) so be sure to scan it with vagcom BEFORE you take it out the car!

1. there are 4 main types of CCM, early and late plus manual and electric windows. the plugs differ for early and late, plus manual window ones have an extra plug. the early ones use different part number key fobs to late as well. as long as you get the right type of CCM it will plug in and work with your old fobs (as long as the fobs are working!!)

2. yes, easy job. there are other methods but I've not tried em, door open and hold lock open blah blah several methods listed about the place

3. yes no need to worry about this

what exactly is wrong with it? have you scanned the CCM unit yet as this will tell you exactly what the problem is (usually) mk4s have problems with the lock module solder pads breakign down and as you say the tailgates are also a common issue either with broken wires or leaky washer jet buggering the boot lock.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  7. Richard Mk2

Thanks for the detailed reply Jonny, much appreciated :thumbup:

Basically, there are a few problems with it, so here goes -

1. Key fobs stopped working once I installed an amplifier and aftermarket radio. They were fine beforehand, that same day.
    Batteries are ok too, plus I have two key fobs. All fuses related to the central locking were checked and were all fine.

2. Alarm will sound within 10 seconds of opening the door, unless the ignition is switched on. If any other passenger opens the door or boot, the alarm will go off straight away.

3. Rear passenger side door is now stuck shut and will not open at all ! I don't think it's anything to do with the door mechanism itself, as there is tension on the door pull inside.

4. The interior central locking button only opens the doors sometimes, will lock all the locks except for the driver door.

5. The light switch buzzer also stopped working.

I've been doing a lot of reading up, and most of this relates to the CCM.

I haven't got Vagcom but I think Eddie has got it. Could ask him to scan for me ;)

I just need to get these things sorted as I don't want to sell it with these problems.

:)

8. rubjonny

1 & 2 are related, since fobs no work alarm isn't deactivating obv, in vagcom you can check the key buttons in the measuring blocks but since its not unlocking or deactivating the alarm this would suggest the matching has been lost or the ccm has packed in

3. sounds liek the age old problem of fractured solder pad(s) on the door motor pcb, common MK4 fault:
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1542461

4. driver door could be down to same issue as above, or possibly driver door wiring damaged somewhere

5. did it used to trigger only when the door is open? again driver door electrics damaged perhaps

or all of the above is down to the CCM as you say :lol:

if you post up the part number and the coding I'll check my stash, I probably have what you need. as I say the component code is whats important really, this tells you exactly which spec CCM you have/need. its the 1st 2 digits you read off in vagcom once the controller is open. for example one of mine reads VAG number : 1J0 959 799 AH component: 4U Zentral-SG Komf. 001

so this one would be part number 1J0959799AH 04U in ETKA :thumbup:

9. Richard Mk2

Will get that part number and PM you R.J :thumbup:

Need to get this sorted ASAP as I'm selling it in January.

10. lmow01 New Member

Old thread I know - but I'm looking at getting another CCM as I believe mine is faulty. How important is the '04U' at the end of the part number? Only reason I ask is that none of the listings on eBay include that bit. Following your method above the part number I need is 1J0959799AH 02L but all of the ebay listings just say 1J0959799AH

Mines a 5 door Bora W reg (2000)

Thanks

11. rubjonny

Very unfortunately, the last 3 digits refer to all the options and type of the CCM module, i.e. alarm or not, 3 or 2 pin alarm, interior monitoring or not, golf or bora, how many doors (that at least can be changed in vagcom)

the golf/bora bit is most important as it determines if the unit works properly with the bora boot pop system, all you can really do is ask what car it was from and if it had an alarm and interior monitoring or not and hope the seller is telling the truth or even knows :lol:

are you sure its the CCM though? they dont go wrong so much in golf/bora as its mounted high up behind dash unlike in passat where its under the carpet in passenger footwell and gets killed if there is a water leak

12. MUSHY 16V

As you say John that don't go wrong that often
    After market radio's can muck them up sometimes
    Sure that was what was wrong with Richards one

13. rubjonny

Good point yeah the mk4 stereo plug has diagnostic wires to it, some stereo can bugger the kline comms so you need to pull the kline wire out and that should sort it hopefully

My CCM does the opposite, when you scan it with vagcom the immobiliser box goes mental clicking away :lol:

14. MUSHY 16V

It's funny this came up I've been looking at coding my cmm
    With vds-pro this week
    Got a boot CD made with it on that boots into dos and loads vds-pro
    Just need a serial vag-com lead now or adaptor for the one I have

Going to try get the windows working of the fob lol

15. rubjonny

yeah im gonna switch to el window ccm in my mk2, as im sick of rado module only lettign me do 1 window at a time. which means adding 2x mk4 window motor modules, changing window switches for mk4 style (looks like beetle ones best for me i think), making an entirely new dash harness... ffs :lol:

16. MUSHY 16V

I like the mk4 for that as you can do all 4 windows form the drivers door
    That would be cool in a mk2

My Leon has a child lock on the windows now that is a must once you have kids lol

17. rubjonny

hopefully i can mod these beetle switches to fit the rado switch holder, already destroyed a mk5 switch trying :lol:

wouldnt mind folding mirrors too but god knows if i'll ever get round to that. total closure from the fob be nice if i can get it going fo sho! shame the 1C0 modules cant be fiddled with using the VDS kit might have been able to unlock stuffs with it

18. MUSHY 16V

19. rubjonny

sorry as in the central locking modules without electric windows, its a totally different codebase on those so you cant tweak em like you can the leccy window modules :(

20. MUSHY 16V

aye got you now

i had check mine be unlocking it with the key and holding it the windows open if you have the right ones or so i'm told