fixed or adjustable damping

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by afbiker02, May 4, 2011.

1. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

I've been looking at new suspension for a while now but after talking to a few of the guys at Curby on Monday I don't know which way to go now. So I'm looking for opinions from the experts on fixed damping coilovers vs adjustable damping coilovers

2. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

I used fixed damping for a long time and it served me well. However, I could only make relatively large changes in behaviour influenced by spring/ARB changes. With the current 2-way adjustable units, I can fine tune very carefully and allows quick adjustament when required for different circuits or conditions. I would definately go for some adjustable damping stuff. Doesn't need to be 2/3way to be honest.

Gurds

3. Mook

Mook Forum Member

Depends what you want to use the car for. Assuming it's not a track toy (where you might want them wound right off for the road, and then tweaked for each track), then the advantage of adjustable coilovers is that you can get them set up to be as compliant as you want.

4. afbiker02

Yeah, sorry forgot to mention it's my daily.

5. m1keh Forum Member

On your daily your probably going to end up running them fully backed off anyway for comfort and compliance on the less than perfect roads.

But if you want to go play on some tracks then having the adjustability will be nice to have and won't break your back as a daily. All depends on how serious you are about getting 10/10ths out of your car on track or not as the case may be.

Go with the best you can afford, cheap fully adjustables will probably be worse than similar priced fixed rate dampers.

6. afbiker02

That is kinda how I see it m1keh. I will every so often use my car on track so I think I'm going to want some kind of adjustment.

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

it took me a year to get it right. i started them at zero and just kept adding until it felt right, minimal damping on coilover springs is miles from comfortable

8. m1keh Forum Member

Another option if you don't want to go massively low is adjustable dampers with fixed springs. Works out cheaper and gives you the adjustability too.

9. afbiker02

I don't want to go scrape my sump on everything low, but I like to be able to adjust the height to get it sitting where I want it

10. Ess Three Forum Member

I've set many peoples cars up for them on adjustable suspension (ride height and bump/rebound) and from experience, the more chances you give people to cock it up, the more likely they will.
    You wouldn't believe how badly come people get the basics...

As long as you are comfortable in assessing what the car is doing under you, you can tweak adjustable damping to suit your driving style.
    Personally, I wouldn't be without that option...

But if you aren't confident, or can't be bothered, then a quality fixed damping kit is probably the best option - be that adjustable ride height or not. :thumbup:

11. Mook

Mook Forum Member

I'd agree with that, but only if you buy a decent set-up. You get what you pay for.

12. afbiker02

I don't mind toying with the damping to get it the way I want it, I've just never done it before so if I do get adjustable ones I'll be asking alot aof questions to get it right. everyone has to learn at some point from somewhere right?