Flywheel bolts

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Deva, Sep 3, 2023.

1. Deva New Member

Was taking out the gearbox and everything off of my mk2 golf and the last screw on the flywheel was just spinning endlessly. Managed to take it out but the thread is destroyed. Can I thread a bigger thread into all of the flywheel screw holes or do I need to get a new flywheel? Cheers

2. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Are you talking about the bolts that hold the flywheel to the crankshaft or the bolts that hold the clutch pressure plate to the flywheel?

3. Deva New Member

The small ones that go thrue the flywheel and then bolt onto the clutch pressure plate

4. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Is it the bolt that is threaded or the hole in the flywheel?

5. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

Think the flywheel will be fine. Just need a new clutch pressure plate. While you’ve got it out just get a new clutch kit and change the lot is what I’d do. From memory there are nine of those little bolts and there’s a tightening and loosening sequence that should be followed to avoid damaging the bolts or the pressure plate.

6. Deva New Member

yeah the new clutch kit is going on. there was also alot of oil on the clutch and in the belhousing so I'm gonna change both of the bearings in the belhousing and the cylinder for the clutch. What else can I do while the clutch is out? I thought about resurfacing the flywheel

Last edited: Sep 4, 2023