Front Hella Spot Lights for GTI Grille

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by Louis2257, Dec 21, 2023.

1. Louis2257 New Member

I am looking for a set of Hella branded spotlights for the GTI grille on my Mk2 1989 Golf.

I cannot seem to find anything about the offical hella spotlights anywhere. Hertiage parts has a set listed here: Front Spot Lamp for Twin Headlight Grille Right: 191-941-784/B | Heritage Parts Centre UK However, these are not 'Hella' branded.

Does anyone know where I can get either OEM hella ones, or direct replica / copies? Or is it better to just go for the hertigate version and whack the Hella sticker on them instead?

2. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

I might be wrong, but I think getting headlights with the actual sticker on them could be a problem. I think the sticker trend was in the early days of the headlights but as time went on the stickers were dropped but as you mentioned above, there is nothing wrong with getting the stickers and just putting them on the lights.

3. Louis2257 New Member

I'm not so worried about the sticker. I want to make sure the spotlights are Hella branded (with or without that little blue logo). I seem to recall the Hella lights also have a square divot in the middle? But I could be wrong about that.

4. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

If you later decide to get some used Hellas, be aware there are early and late ones to suit whichever grille they were intended to fit... 5 slat and 7 slat which from recollection have different fixing points meaning they're not interchangable.

You're probably a 5 slat, being a post '88 car, but might be worth checking just in case it's been changed over the years for the incorrect one and you get caught out.

On a similar note, check too they're spot lights you currently have and not fogs... again just in case anything has been changed over the years, VW used spots but fogs were available on aftermarket Hella grilles.

If you get a half decent set of used ones, depending on how handy you are, they're not that difficult to bring back up to like new, plus personally I think they're superior quality to the aftermarket offerings (as good as some of them appear to be).

5. Louis2257 New Member

Thank you, I'll have to look out for some used ones then by the sounds of it.

6. Zender Z20

From recollection they're sided too, but only insofar as the brackets are concerned, in case you end up with either 2x lefts or 2x rights, though I think the glass itself is the same regardless of which they are so you can't go on the numbers cast into the glass, 7Zap seems to support this.

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/golf/go/1989-92/9/941-225000/#10

You're right, there are 2x short upright raised lines at the lens center to position the Hella sticker within.

7. Louis2257 New Member

Hmm, intresesting. Is there a diagram for the spot / dirver lights? that diagram from 7Zap looks like its just for the main beam lights?

8. Zender Z20

Use the link to navigate around / back to the main page, click on the part number magnifying glass, it'll potentially give you the full VW number and/or any after market / OEM part numbers that you can then Google further.

I'd got myself some spares a few years back and recall it wasn't as easy as buying the first set you see because of the differences mentioned.

@Cressa did his own also, https://www.clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/gwendoline-the-golf.291469/page-10 to give you an idea of how they can turn out, might even still be offering the paint if you ask!

Cressa likes this.
  9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the sticker just means the lamps are aftermarket supply, rather than dealer fit. this is why UK golf driver all have the stickers, because the 4 lamp grilles were fitted at the dealer after import rather than at the factory but the GTI never had them (Driver was a UK spec, based off a Golf C/CL)

as mentioned they are sided, 191941783B is left, and 84B right for the inner main beam lamps for post-88 5 slat grille