Front wheel bearings - does it matter which way round?

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by MJA, Mar 13, 2022.

1. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,

Just pondering this - can you put a bearing in the wrong way round? This is for my mk3. One side of the bearing as some writing but otherwise it looks identical so assume it doesn't matter?

Cheers

Matt

2. Vinnie Paid Member Paid Member

No it does not.it should be tapered on both sides of the bearing

3. Adamss24 Forum Member

Smart way is to put it with the writing onto the easy to read face…some areas of the world you can get the bearings from the markings on the races… it’s useful on really old cars for which there are no available parts off the shelf !

Tristan likes this.
  4. MJA

Cheers I did it writing face out to be logical in the end. Went in a dream....

... but first time I've done this type of thing and I screwed up big time installing the hub. Over confident. Didnt support the back of the bearing and cracked the bearing in half pushing it through the press. Doh. Live and learn and knew what I'd done straight away. Spent ages fannying about making sure the cast bit was supported as well but forgot the key detail to support the bearing

5. Adamss24 Forum Member

Clean the balls and the race well and get some good quality grease
    And push it back in there…shouldn’t be much harm done ! We all done it at some point !

MJA likes this.
  6. MJA

Unlucky for me it cracked the internal metal part of the bearing (race I think it is called). Half of it is still mounted to the hub with a visible split in the metal! Stripped it back down ready for replacements opps but won't do that on the other one or next time!

Hopefully someone else new to this will search and find my tail to learn from :)