Frozen doors anyone else suffer?

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by whitty, Jan 4, 2010.

1. whitty New Member

as above it's starting to get beyond a joke now can't get in the ******* car ! i had to resort to opening all the windows with the alarm and climbing in through the window the other morning!

ive greased the mechs and all the door seals but still the doors freeze closed anyone else suffer from this ? or is it just me?

2. geordiegar Forum Member

You're not alone my friend happens to me every day in this weather, just pour some tepid (not hot) water all around the door seal, works a treat.

3. alexisblades99 Forum Member

yeah me too, most annoying. thoroughly dry the rubbers off and rub some vaseline on it.

4. djdubplate

djdubplate Forum Member

Yeah , me too , drivers side was solid this morning, had to get in through the passenger side, prpbably my fault as I jetwashed it yesterday [:^(]

5. AndyG

AndyG Forum Member

vasaline or silicon spray should solve it

6. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

opened mine but it then got stuck open so couldnt close it again, drove the first couple of miles holding the door closed,lol.

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

My Mk3 does it these days. Takes me a few tries to get the damn key to unlock the thing.

8. fthaimike Forum Addict

my mk3 the same, had to slowly pour kettle over key while i wiggled it in.

though before that i had to breath heavily on the lock 1st to open it :lol: .

9. alexisblades99 Forum Member

i carry a lock defroster everywhere just in case, but i can only use it when there's no-one looking..[:$]

10. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

It's alright on a Golf, you have a proper handle to pull, the Audi is a b*stard for it!

11. sacheus New Member

BROKE my boot handle today boot was frosen, am now leaving car unlocked. Bloody German weather....Proper snow..:thumbup:

12. Supercharged Forum Member

Shouldn't happen in our weather really - use the proper VW lock de-icer oil to stop the lock itself freezing.

Remember also to wax the paint inside the door and treat the rubbers,

13. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

The handbrake on my old golf used to freeze on in this weather, but just the passenger door lock froze on the new one this morning so the mrs had to travel to work in the back seat of her own car :p

My beemer has heated door locks, but what I don't get is how you're supposed to turn the heater on if you're locked out of the car?

14. Mat-R Forum Member

Reminds me of my Cal look Beetle.
    It had solenoid doors, say no more...

15. aminder

aminder CGTI Committee - Webmaster Staff Member Admin

I got similar problem on my mk3 golf, I got remote locking but drivers side keeps locking itself as does not open. I have to climb in through passenger side.

16. whitty New Member

Oh well that makes me feel better o have oiled the rubbers with nut oil which is what I use to dress them maybe I'll try vassaline instead, but I'm pretty sure it's the mech freezing up and not the doors freezing to the rubbers, if I can get it open this morning ( I couldnt all day yesterday !) I'll get the door cards off and investigate more

17. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Bah - just put in the garage and no problemo!:thumbup:

If you have to leave outside some warm water all over the seals and handle usually does the trick.

I remember 2 years ago and I was frozen out of my mk2 for 4 days! Bl00dy thing had frozen more on the inside than the outside so all the warm water and de-icer in the world on the outside made no difference.

18. Bundles Forum Junkie

My golf not to bed, sticks a little, but my pug 406 is murder, just cant get them open for love nor money without the use of a hot kettle.

19. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Turn the heater to cold for 5 minutes before you park up so that there aint no damp hot air inisde and when car cools the internal pressure doesnt drop as much and drag in water vapour through all the nooks n crannies. Tip out your car mats after every journey if its snowing. Wax your seal as said above and stick some lock deicer in your locks when you park up and you should have no trouble getting into it first thing.

20. Mk2gti8v Forum Member

i had frozen key hole, frozen radiator, frozen heater matrix and a core plug popped out lol. my own fault leaving the car sitting there for 4 months with no anti freeze.:)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010