Fuel pump relay click around 3k!!

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Walesuk1, Jul 16, 2023.

1. Walesuk1 New Member

Hiya guys i wonder if you can help,i have a 92 golf gti 8v Digifant recently developed a kinda missfire at 3-3.5k and is clicking the fuel pump relay on and off cutting power! I have replaced the relay with new the bosch distributor rebuilt by ignition parts a couple of months ago,i swapped coils,leads,caps etc im running out of ideas and its doing my head in
    Also the problem isnt always there its very intermittent
    Any ideas appreciated

2. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Just fishing here, know very little about electrics...

Did the issue pre-date the distributor being rebuilt?

Asking because genuine Bosch service parts are hard to come by and if you do they tend to be expensive.

If the problem is post rebuild, where latter day copy parts used?

If you've access to another genuine / known working dizzy, might be a worth while job trying it out to see if the problem persists before you go any further elsewhere.

3. Walesuk1 New Member

Hi Zender,thanks for your reply,there didn’t seem to be a problem before hand,when i first got the distributor back all has been fine until now
    I have an aftermarket distributor to try as this never really missfired from what i remember

4. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

If you Google / search the forum you'll see some comments on non-Bosch distributors, particularly 16v ones, but may well also apply to the 8v's too.

If anything was replaced in the rebuild with after market service parts it'd be the Hall sender I'm guessing that would be the main / only thing in a '92 cars dizzy.

5. Walesuk1 New Member

Yes I been searching that also,the rebuild is under warranty so maybe i could send it back if i can narrow it down to the hall sender

6. Walesuk1 New Member

Ok just an update I swapped distributors and its the same,also changed knock sensor just to eliminate that and no difference
    Could it be the lift pump ? Would that click the relay at 3k ish??
    Would the rev counter cause this if something wrong with it?
    Clocks unplugged it still does the same thing

Last edited: Jul 17, 2023
  7. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

This sounds like a potential wiring issue - a loose connection, damaged wiring, bad earth, etc.
    It might be worth having a good look at the fuse board - confirm there is no water ingress/corrosion and check the blades on the board that the relay plugs into.
    A relay that's clicking is either losing the 12V Supply/Negative to it, the fact that you've already tried another relay to no avail would indicate that it is an electrical supply that's bombing out.

8. Walesuk1 New Member

Thanks for your reply Costel will check that
    Would that issue only happen at 3250 rpm and clear after ? I its at 3250 but will rev through to 7250 fine,only occurs at around 3250 ish
    I’ve also bought a new ignition switch as that is easy switched off as if worn

9. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Honestly who knows, the rev area is a bit weird alright but it’s no harm to check the wiring regardless.

10. Walesuk1 New Member

Ok thanks Costel will check that and fuse box as you suggested,thanks
    Hopefully i find something,it’s driving me mad lol

11. Walesuk1 New Member

Ok guys just an update,Ive now replaced the tci module ontop of the ecu and so far all seems ok,i will update if anything changes

Zender Z20 likes this.