G40 Charger rebuild

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by Jono_TDI, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Jono_TDI Forum Member

I am going to look at a G40 tomorow morning the car i am looking at has done 67,000 miles and the charger has never been touched, What sort of intervals does the charger need rebuilding, Also the Shell of the car is from a Cup car which i belive is a little diffrent could be wroung can any body shed some light on this for me

Cheers

2. Neil G40 Forum Member

My charger was ready for doing at about 75k, i've since done about 30k, for rebuilds look here

The only thing I know about cup cars is that they didn't have sunroofs and they were allowed to strengthen the clutch pedal bracket.

3. Jono_TDI Forum Member

What is the book figure power of a G40, I own a 8v digi at the moment and that is good fun how quick is a G40 and what do they handle like, The car i am looking at also has gas shocks and 15" alloys which are Porsche cup rims or something simlar,

4. Neil G40 Forum Member

Book figure is 113bhp but getting more is easy and not too expensive, I've not driven a gti so can't say how they compare.

For more details look at www.polog40.co.uk

5. Jono_TDI Forum Member

I have been talking to the chap about the car and he seems to think jabbasport are a good place to have the charger rebuilt, I have herd there name alot has anybody had work done there and what is there workmanship like,
    Also what other mods can be done to the G40 is it the usuall route of head work

6. Neil G40 Forum Member

Alot of peoples opinion is that jabba were a good place to do g-lader work but since the turbo'd vw's arrived they've lost all interest in them.

7. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

8. Jono_TDI Forum Member

What sort of work have u had done on your G40 then neil or is it hush hush, has anyone on here had a boost gauge fitted aswell because that is always a nice little touch to keep check on the boost pressure

9. Neil G40 Forum Member

I've only had a stage 4 rebuild done at jabba, the next time I get it done it'll be a pitstop full blend. I've got a boost guage on mine, if you put one on make sure you plumb it into the fuel pressure regulater vacuum hose and not the one for the ecu.

10. Jono_TDI Forum Member

How much diffrence did the stage 4 rebuild make to the car did it feel massive amounts quicker or was it no diffrent at all, was thinking of having the ECU reprogrammed aswell

11. Neil G40 Forum Member

To be honest I don't think it made a massive amount of difference.

Pitstop are currently developing SNS chips for the G40.

12. Jono_TDI Forum Member

Where do we stand on cams because i guess that is a way of changing the engine statistics, oh any idea where i can host a picture aswell for my signature pic

13. Neil G40 Forum Member

14. ereeiz Forum Member

My advice:
    GET IT!
    I've done exactly the same. Gone from a mk2 8v to a G40. Its great! I got mine Friday night, stuck it on the rollers at Stealth Racing today and it was putting out 127.3bhp@5954 rpm
    Not bad for a std G40. (It has the cotton green induction kit off my mk2 golf and a s/s backbox though :lol: )

15. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

My G40 has a Jabba R1 with big filter, Jabba chip, PSD toothed pullies, GT inlet manifold, decat and custom stainless exhaust, not had it on the rollers but it poos all over my Golf 1.8T(162bhp) and is soo much more fun, had mine nearly 3 years now, to drive one is to want one, simple as that! [:D]

Alan

16. Polog4tracer Forum Member

I cant wait to get mine on the road, its currently without an engine. The little bezlar is just sitting next to the car laughing its tits off cos it aint got a clutch. Can't wait... need to sort my insurance out so I can drive it on the road and run the engine in. Need to get a few KKKK miles on it before I start unleashing its 200+bhp potential.

To drive one is to want one - oh yes. I sold my previous 180bhp G40 for a corrado G60 and a poloG40 track day toy. Now the Corrado is being sold, and the track day toy is coming to a road near you. All because I cant get enough of the G40!

In terms of what you want to do to it for engine performance. A simple PSD full blend (dont go near Jabba) charger upgrade and rebuild, induction kit, toothed pullies and a rechip will net you 140-150odd bhp.
    The standard exhaust is good for upto 162bhp - well thats what I ran on a RR day with the standard exhaist system on instead of my 2 1/4" system.
    You dont really need to change the camshaft as the original VW G40 one is excellent. Only change the camshaft if you want to go above 175bhp to be honest. Even then you dont have to, a simple adjustable vernier pulley will work wonders.

Paul C
    (Hardchargin40, to you Yahoo G40 Group users)

17. Polog4tracer Forum Member

You can keep the charger standard and unserviced if you want, but as you dont know the history of thrashing, can you be sure it wont blow up on you? My corrado G60's did a month or so after buying it, it was unserviced and I thought it'd be alright for a few months to leave it and get it serviced after xmas. It blew itself to pieces! And im left with a nice bill.

My advice is service the charger as soon as you buy it if its never been done - piece of mind.
    Do not attempt to tune the engine untill you service the charger or upgrade it.
    Looking at 60-80Kmile intervals for rebuilds depends on how you drive it.

Cup car shells, are fully seam welded, and very stiff bodied. Has it a rollcage still fitted then? The undersealant is removed on the cars. Most cup car have been rolled or crashed/dinged at some point in their lifetime and alot will be full of filler and repair jobs, also look out for hidden rust spots in box sections.

Power in a G40, is all about removing the flow restriction. Dont bother with stage 4 rebuild, waste of time in my opinion. Jabbasport are very expensive and we've seen a few dodgy rebuilds come from them in the past and inlet manifold flowing too.

Paul Cauldwell

18. Jono_TDI Forum Member

Hey thanks for the response just got back from work and after reading this i am a bit worried i know the car has had some abuse cos the mechanic told me it had, but the bloke who ownes it is a Vag mechanic and he knows his poo so it has been looked after in the respect of services but he said the charger has never been touched i have been looking at the pitstop site and the mechancic was telling me how the car dosent really like traffic much so he said it mite be worth fitting a switch to the rad so i can stop it running hot, As for the oil cooler is that going to be a worth while task

19. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

It may have the wrong thermostat in it, common thing to change them in G40's. Oil cooler is a must! Really drops the temps down! G40 chargers are soo much more reliable than G60's, go on take the leap into G40 ownership!

Alan

20. Jono_TDI Forum Member

Yeah i have been doin some reading and alot of people have alot to say bout then and it is nearly all good i know that if u own a car u love it no matter the faults but i think a G40 is gonna be purchased thusday, What does every one rekon to the factory intercoolers then they dont seem like there much cop maybe would be cool idea to change it when the funds allow as well as a engine rebuild and a charger rebuild [xx(] I can see the credit card getting a serious amount of death with this motor, Sayin that tho the insurance aint that bad at all so i hope it is as quick as people rekon cos it is cheaper to insure fullycomp than my digi 8v jetta for some reason [:s] .

Anyone ever explored the avenue of havin the enginr size increased oh and what manifold back exhaust system is of good order i dont want a zaust that is gonna send me deff as a post tho
    Edited by: Jono_TDI