G40 oil leak

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by 45rugdub, Mar 10, 2004.

1. 45rugdub Forum Member

Hi new here, I am p***** off with pvw never working. I went to look at a g40 the other day and oil seems to be coming out of the charger, mostly where the oil line goes in but seemed to be oil in other places. Do you thing the charger has had it? Or could it just be the oil line? Dont know much about these cars any advise would be useful, thanks.

2. Neil G40 Forum Member

It could be leaking from there, also if the crankcase breather is blocked it will blow oil out of the dipstick.

3. Polog4tracer Forum Member

Some do leak abit from the charger oil feed line (the braided one coming from the head), as the brass washer probably isnt sealing correctly against the banjo bolt. Easy fix.

You have to make sure this oil feed line isnt blocked or anything.

To test if the charger is suspect, well blown an oil seal or something...

Either, take the bypass boost pipe off the throttle body end and rev the car high and see if any oil vapour comes out. If it breathing correctly and seals OK then it should just be air that comes out and a slight mist of oil vapour.
    Alot of oil vapour urinees out then most likely is charger oil seal.

Or remove the boost pipe from the front of the engine bay, the one that is covered by the plastic shield over the radiator, will be a rubber boost pipe, remove this and put hand against boost hole. This will check you getting good boost and if hand covered in oil then you've a oil seal gone.

If breathing heavily, as neil says, crankcase breather could be blocked (easy fix - just remove and soak in meths), you'll get more oil vapour out, and it wont like revving too well, as the oil pressure builds as it cant escape via its usual means, it goes for the easier option of out the dipstick.

We tend to ditch the standard oil breather system and use either a hose pipe or a catch tank.

If you buy a G40, I suggest you change the oil as one of the first things you do, just to be sure you've clean stuff in there.

4. 45rugdub Forum Member

Thanks for the info. The car in qestion has done about 120k miles but got full VW history. The guy reckons the charger has been re-built not long ago, but has no paper work for it. The car seems in good condition with just a few marks on the bonnet, what do think it's worth? Is there any threads on here to buying one of these cars? I am going to look at another one tomorrow but don't really know what I should be looking out for?

5. Neil G40 Forum Member