g60 speedo sensor help required

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by michael affleck, Jul 14, 2019.

1. michael affleck New Member

just fitted digifiz system to my 1989 g60 only problem I have got is that the mk3 speed sensor that came with it does not fit the gearbox I believe the gearbox is a 020 can anyone out there recommend a sensor that will work on that type of gearbox thanks

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

hello there, for an 020 type gearbox you need a MK3 or MK4 020 sender. For mk3 1.8-2.0 8v but not TDI as thats an 02a, and on the MK4 I believe it is only the 1.4 and 1.6 models which had the 020 everything else is 02J or 02M

sender needs to look like this. note this is square 3 pin version from MK3 and early mk4, later MK4 has a roudy ended plug with smaller pins. It still works, but would mean you need to change the plug on your wiring loom to suit
    complete 11.JPG

3. michael affleck New Member

hello thanks for the reply I have the speed sensor in the photo you have posted but it does not fit my gearbox I may have given the wrong gearbox number I am trying to post a photo of the gearbox drive I have i am new to this and I need to work out how to post it ,your comments would be great

4. rubjonny

is the gearbox a cable shift type with hydro clutch? if so thats the 02a box and you'll need an 02a or mk4 02j type speed sender. If you have the gear in there you'll have a threaded fitting on the top and you screw the 02a/j electronic sender on top. if oyu have an open hole you'll need the whole thing, it unscrews from the donor box and drop it in :)

5. michael affleck New Member

Thanks rubjonny yes the gearbox has a thread fitting on the top so I am now looking for a 02a/j electronic sensor
    thanks again for your help

6. rubjonny

cool good news then you have the right box for G60 booost :thumbup:

same info above applies mk3 and early mk4 has the square plug and later ones have the roundy end plug. If in doubt chop it off the donor with a good length of wire and you'll be fine. I guess later polo with electronic speedo will also be ok, since the small block 084/5 type speedometer cable fits the 02a/j box so the speed sender probably will too. It looks a bit different but should do the trick :)

7. michael affleck New Member

Thanks again I will keep in touch