Garage heaters

Discussion in 'Garages, workshops & DIY' started by Ess Three, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Andy947 Forum Addict

Just cut it so that it was quite a tight push fit.

Did buy some duct tape to tape it in place aswell if needed, but mine seems good at the moment.

2. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

love that burner mike, might have a stab at making one myself for the building I live in.

No point in trying to heat my workshop space, its a big corrugated asbestos unit missing about 10sheets on the roof and walls with huge sliding doors that dont close! One day we will sort it properly, want to build a smaller stud framed wood panel building inside it but Its full of junk that would need moving first.

3. fthaimike Forum Addict

Have a new Garage at the new house, single block with pitched roof.

Problem is that when we had the really bad weather i have has water drops coming down off the felt in the eaves from i think frost as it's waterproof in the heavy rain.

So i bought one of these to leave on over cold night to see if it stops it for now:http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4152198/Trail/searchtext%3EHEATER.htm

[​IMG]

Hoping to cut some insulating blocks in feb & push them into the gaps in the eaves leaving them a little off from the felt to allow it to breath.

I also have the problem of having a basic up & over door which needs insulating & i have to get a strip of rubber to put along the bottom on the outide as there is a brease blowing underneath & it can get damp just inside in heavy rain as it gets blown in.

Noticed today in the local DIY store they have a blow heater for about 75 ....

Any good for working on the car:

http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/dispatcher?quickLiveProductCode=244133PRD

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  4. fthaimike Forum Addict

Going to try fitting some different insulation to my new garage roof, came about the idea after watching the timberframe houses being built here.

One of the wall layers had these large insulation blocks inserted, bit hard to explain but they are a yellow compacted material with a tin foil like coating on the outsides.

Anyway i am going to cover the entire roof space screwing them to the beams using washers as they can be a bit brittle which will then as they go the opposite way to the beams leave a gap between them & the felt which should allow some breathing for the roof itself and keep the inside insulated.

I will take some pics to explain it better.

5. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

One of these should be all you need;

[​IMG]

Just need about 30ft clear space mind... :lol:

6. m1keh Forum Member

Problem is, burning gas creates damp air. Damp air in your garage isn't good.

7. fthaimike Forum Addict

^ ^ ^ probably ok for a large working garage but not at home lol.

Anyway this is the stuff i am using for my roof as i had it free from a friend:

[​IMG]

It is made by these and might be advertised as wall insulation. CW4050:
    http://www.celotex.co.uk

50mm thick and dimensions of 1200 x 450mm

And going up:
    [​IMG]

Only problem i am working around is the long thin wooden slat that goes down diagonal across the beams that attaches to the top of the rear/front wall and is there for structure strength & tie the roof down (rear one can be seen to the right going down diagonal to the left):

[​IMG]

so i have been marking up the blocks that cross right over it & cutting out a slot so that they sit flush over the top of it & are level with the rest fitted:

[​IMG]

Though those cut out blocks dont half make a mess:

[​IMG]

Should be nice when it's finished & it should also reflect some light around as well

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  8. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

Nice job Mike

9. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

I hired one of them when we moved into our new unit. It was about that size and man it chucks out some heat. Only had it on for 10 mins and it was ok for a couple of hours!:thumbup:

10. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Iv got a mini devil space heater and that was heating the barn I was working on over the winter to hot in about 20mins when it was minus 18 outside! Problem was it used so much gas I worked out we could have had 5 2kw heaters going which probably would have done the same job...

Heres mine:

[​IMG]

11. Admin Guest

I may have a few of these up for sale from work soon.

12. Funky Diver Forum Member

Seriously contemplating putting a wood burning workshop heater in the garage on the build. Mind I have the opportunity to do it as I'm still at planning stage [:D]

13. fthaimike Forum Addict

I done about 90% of the roof on mine now, just the lower areas to fill, bit awkward but getting there.

Might put the insulating blocks over the inside of the door as well as i had frost on the inside of it in the bad winter with it being just one thin metal layer.

14. garethjones Banned

Halogen panels are good to use...

15. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

would making a false roof out of the foam pannels causes problems with condensation? as my new large prefab garage goes in a couple of weeks and within the next year I want to kit all the inside out with insulation, but I am in 2 mins with the roof, either to use the big foam blocks, or do what I have seen else where and use the large upvc cladding sheets to make a celing and then chuck alod of normal loft insulation up there?