Gear linkage master needed in Derbyshire/Notts area

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by tomsdubs, Apr 22, 2010.

1. tomsdubs Forum Member

Hi, the linkage on my mk2 was done with a new kit by the last owner. Now the gears select perfect but the problem is when in a gear i can move the whole linkage left and right by pushing sideways. This means one way i lose fifth and the other reverse and first. So who wants some beer money to give me a hand? Don't want to get ripped by a garage and would prefer to learn to do it myself. I've noticed also in neutral the stick wants to sit all the way to the right.

Not fussed about trying myself from the haynes but im not really sure how the setup works. This is my daily and i don't want to lose all my gears cause then im stuffed. Anyone fancy lending me a hand for some beer money?

2. Willber Forum Member

It sounds like it needs aligning, which is a very simple job to do. You can buy the tool off eBay for 3.99 or use an old cassette tape.
    What you need to do is remove the gearstick gaitor (the leather) covering for the gearstick.
    This should pull up easily with some persuasion.
    Then you need to make sure the car is in neutral.
    Looking down behind the engine you will see the shaft coming from under the car. At the end of the shaft there is a clamp with a 13mm nut and bolt. Loosen this clamp so that the shaft moves freely. Then go inside the car and secure the alignment tool or cassette tape in the gap to the left of the gear stick. Go back outside and into the engine bay and tighten up the clamp onto the shaft.
    Make sure the gear select ok before tightening fully and you should be up and running again!

Hope that helps.

3. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Side to side play usually means the intermediate shaft bushing needs changed.

I'd get a new Mk3 one from GSF, should sort it.

4. Willber Forum Member

Ahh yes misunderstood the post. I read it as not being able to get all the gears. New relay/intermediate shaft bush should fix it.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if not the relay shaft, could be the pinch bolt has worked loose, its happened to me a couple of times. put it in 3rd and move it till you can select 1st & reverse, then nip up the pinch bolt with a pair of 13mm spanners. Have a read of my gearlinkage faq for some pics of what we're on about :)

6. tomsdubs Forum Member

Thanks for the advice guys, got stranded today at uni with no tools or nothing. Burrows came out and the guy fixed it straight of. It was a nut near the box had come loose, so everytime i went to select first the bar wasn't gripping to select it. Hence why i only had 3rd and 4th!