Gearbox crunch

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Jay, Nov 17, 2003.

1. JAY

Jay Forum Member

When cold, my gearbox crunches between 1st and 2nd unless i press the clutch all the way down.

Is this a common fault? is it easy to repair?

2. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Synchro problem I think, very common. You can sometimes sort it by changing the gearbox oil and checking/replacing the linkage bushes to tighten thing up. I did this on mine the other week but it still crunches when very cold. [:s]

I just make sure to press the clutch right down and shift carefully 'til it's warmed up a bit. :)

3. mickster New Member

New synchro required. :(

4. kr.bored.2.0 New Member

just make sure to press the clutch right down and shift carefully 'til it's warmed up a bit.

having the same prob [8(]

5. T U C Forum Member

mine's been doing that for 4 years/ 28000miles. i just have to let the revs drop after i pushed the clutch in between 1st to 2nd change, then it slots in ok (with pedal to floor) until its fully warmed then its ok. for the cost of replacing it im willing to put up with it for now

6. gteye Forum Member

my previous gti did it when it was cold, e reg with 150k on clock,i changed oil &put slick50 gbox treatment in, it made no diff when cold but was smoother when warm.my current gti h reg 106k is lovely and smooth but once or twice when it was freezing i set off & changed from 1st to 2nd very qiuck and it felt a bit notchy/stiff but i checked the gbox oil and it was level&clean so i do not want to change it in case it makes it worse,but to be honest after 100k you should expect abit of wear so maybee i,m qiute lucky with mine.