gearbox!

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by samsgti, Apr 5, 2004.

1. samsgti New Member

does anyone have a gearbox for the mark 2 16v??? in desperate need! i'm located in leicester! got a friend who has a gearbox on the 8V.. asked me if some caps matched colour on the gearbox... both matched up green whatever that means... but they different gearboxes arent they..different ratios for 8v head and 16v head? as in they fit but wont give me same performance will they? anyways so yeah if anyone has one can they drop me a line or knows anyone who has one plzz!

2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

best I can do
    Gearbox Ratios

the gearbox codes(2/3 letters) are stamped on the bottom of the box, bell housing side

3. tomasz Forum Member

hi m8.thare is a guy near you who has 16v engine for sale.i`m interesting in the head and wirings,so we can buy it and split.let me know whot do you think.chears

Edited by: tomasz

4. tomasz Forum Member

5. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

You can put an 8v box on a 16v,just needs the 8v clutch disc fitting

6. samsgti New Member

hey tomasz that link u gave didnt work.. as in it says i hafta log in as a member... but sounds good and i'm up for splitting.. how much does he want for the thing? ok and to G_V_K... sticking 8v cluth disc.. ok wont i loose out power and all.. top end or whatever from the 16v if i do that? thank u all for replying!!

7. GTi_Jonny New Member

I would stay well clear fitting an 8v box to 16v engine. I once had to resort to this option due to minimal existence of 16v boxes and the gearing was too low and the engine chewed the box. This was my experience, but then it maybe my driving. I think I fitted 16v clutch because 8v clutch wasn't working correctly.

Unfortunately it will be another month before I am ready to sell my reconditioned MKII Golf 16v Sport box.

8. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

It depends what 8v box you use. I put 8v boxes on my valvers because I like the leggier top gear, and with an 8v GTi box there is bugger all difference in the other ratios. The 8v clutch holds it fine. Never seen an 8v box chewed by a relatively standard engine, or for that matter a fairly tuned one. Maybe it was about to go anyway. You can't have fitted the 16v clutch plate to the 8v box, it doesn't fit.