getting into motorsport/racing/trackdays

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Sciroccotune, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Sciroccotune Forum Member

Hi guys,

Last night whilst out celebrating my friends birthday we were in a sports bar and I was watching the super car racing (fantastic i must add). Anyway it got me thinking.

I have my old. and recently un loved, mk1 sitting at my mothers house waiting to be used again. And I think it would be the perfect track day car.

What do I need to get into track days/ racing etc as I really dont know much about the whole thing

The mk1 was a driver but is now gti spec, lowered 60mm, and running 8v on carbs.... Not so much bothered about modification of the car as I know all that..

Like can I build my own roll cage or do I need a registered one etc

Opinions/ information please

2. RichS

RichS CGTI Regional Host

Hi mate,

It really depends on what you intend to do with the car.

If you intend to just do a few trackdays etc, then things are a little easier as you can pretty much do what you like to the car, modification wise.

If you intend to start racing in a series, then each series will have their own rules and regulations which may permit you to carry out only specific modifications.

KeithR on this forum races a Mk1 in the Stock Hatch series and the regulations are linked to in one or more of his posts in the Motorsport forum. These would be worth a read as they are relatively strict with regards to the changes that can be made from standard.

There are plenty of guys and gals on here that can probably help you a lot more than I can though!

3. Sciroccotune Forum Member

Thanks for starting me off mate!! Im not really sure what i want to do as I cant seem to find to much out about specific series etc... Ill keep looking. Deffo gonna start with a few track days to get the mk1 of the starting line so to speak..:lol:

4. AndrewF Forum Addict

have a look around this site - 750 motor club - thats the club that runs stock hatch.

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

If you want to get toes into the water, the Club GTI track days would be ideal.

Cheap, friendly, good fun, and pretty much nil preparation if you choose. Lob out any loose objects from the car / boot, make sure it's roadworthy, MOT'd etc.

Anything you'd wish to do on top of that is up to you, but the basic preparatin burden is virtually nil.

At Curborough, it's one car on the track at a time, so you can forget worrying about other people.