Golf 1,3T

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by Polo Classic, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Polo Classic Forum Member

Here's a few pics of an NZ Turbo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Standard NZ Engine, Haltec F9, garret GT20 turbo with moded 0,45 bar actuator from a T03, full boost from 2700rpmIC from MB Vito.
    Homemade 2" eksos with simons boxes and 90bhp look rearbox(60 degree angle down)
    2,25" stainless dowpipe.
    Injectors from ford 2L DOHC
    fpr from 2WD cosworth
    Turbosmart boost pressure regulater (moded)boost 0,45 to 0,75 depending on drivers mood

Edited by: Polo Classic

2. S1MMA Forum Member

it's a 1.3 turbo golf? How much power has it got, 120bhp??? Why not fit a decent 16v engine and not worry about it blowing up?

3. Polo Classic Forum Member

He did it just for the fun of it!!!!

Do not know what power it has got. 120 sounds about right. G40 Turbo's are normally around 130 bhp with 0,6 bar boost and standard chip. It might be more as this uses higher CR. The head is basicly the same, but with milder cam (NZ 196 degrees vs G40 199/228)

4. Seizure Forum Member

Is it me, or is that top pic different. Any more info of Turboing a G40 lump?

5. Polo Classic Forum Member

What you need is a Rothe manifold, K04 and a 63,5mm downpipe, with race cat if a cat is needed. Some way to adjust boost levels, some samco and you are done.

Std chip is good for 130bhp with 0,6 bar boost

6. Seizure Forum Member

Is the standard G40 management any good for this conversion?

7. Polo Classic Forum Member

A std G40 managment would be very nice for that conversion.
    Should work nicely on std chip up to betwen 0,7-0,8 bar boost and 140-150 bhp

8. madmk4 Forum Member

Sniff sniff, i smell melted pistons and clutches galore.

Why not do it ? if the parts are there, and your doing it yourself, good idea.

Half of the fun of cars to some people, is building them, setting yourself a challenge, the odder the more interesting usually !

Id imagine a polo g40 head gasket would be thicker, something to think about using if anyone decides to do it, i bet the valve are sodium filled and the pistons are different to...

9. madmk4 Forum Member

Id imagagine the standard map would be rather crap if you turbo'd a g40, because of the way the boost comes in.

I've looked into doing a turbo'd 1300, got alot of the bits id need in the shed, certainly be a fun project.

Trouble is, the cooling system would really need to be uprated, so would the clutch, list goes on and its gets expensive..

Cheap way to get compression down would be to fit a early mech tappet head to a late block, you'd have to skim the head or deck the block alot though, probally end up with summit like 8:1 CR though at a guesstimation..

10. Polo Classic Forum Member

On the G40 turbo conversions sold in Germany. The chip is stock, probably due to emission problems. Of course a remap would be better, but you need to keep below 136 bhp to get it TV approved without changes to the braking system. Everyone says the G40 has got crap brakes, but it is infact just in the UK, because of the silly small brake servo.

The G40 crank is also forged, NZ is not.

11. prof Forum Addict

why a ko4 that must be a bit laggy on a 1.3?

12. Polo Classic Forum Member

well depends on how you define laggy. My mate runs a K03 on his G40 now. 173 bhp max and 1,0 bar boost from 1800 rpm. I suspect the K04 will spool up 500-700 rpms later?
    The key too quick spool up on the Rothe manifold is to have proper 63,5 mm downpipe (it looks almost bigger than the turbo)Std downpipe in the SLS/Rothe/S-tec kits are only 45 mm.

K04 will be fitted this winter......

13. prof Forum Addict

sounds great [:D] [:D]

14. Seizure Forum Member

Cool. :) What's the rest of the spec of the engine like? That on G40 management?

15. Polo Classic Forum Member

Yes G40 managment. The fueling is bodged up imho. Chip for std injectors, adjustable fpr and G60 green injectors. Head has been ported, inlet manifold port matched. Schrick cam, Rothe manifold, Ferrita/KK downpipe without cat.

I hope to get a wideband next year. So we will convince him to get some wideband tuning and some SNS magic into the ecu:)

He will hook up his NOS Fogger system next year also...
    Should blow up a few pistons :lol:

Here's a pic of the car
    [​IMG]

Here I'm the same day, running "a bit wide" (sorry about the size)1/10th later I have got the tail out there doing some drifting ;)
    [​IMG]

16. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

[:D] Quality photo Frode, Yours and Runars cars is looking sweet as always ;)

Alan

17. tallika_fan

tallika_fan Forum Member

MMM, i remember seeing that one (silver) at inters last year, tasty! (I think it was that one anyway)

18. Polo Classic Forum Member

That was the one, yes. with a dent on the RHS. Bloody Micra's and driving on the wrong side of the road ;)

I think we will have to swap mapsensor this winter to be able to run more boost. Probably a TDI one

19. nuttinnew Forum Member

Much coolness. I'll have the turbo conversion on an aea/aee please in my '77 Polo. Actually Frode, does the turbo sit as far forward as a supercharger?

20. Polo Classic Forum Member

It doesn't take up much more space than the std G40 exhaust manifold