Golf 2 GTI - fuel enters the oil - help!

Discussion in 'Engines' started by hehehh, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Golfvr6 Forum Member

Oh dear , don't get upset now.
    I thought you and a couple of other people on here are the only ones that have ever worked on a golf.
    Surely not? :clap:

2. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Clever boy. [8-}]

3. Golfvr6 Forum Member

I think you are confusing me with your best mate Michael Barrymore :lol:

4. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

5. Golfvr6 Forum Member

Yep, like some of the stuff you say, funny :clap: :lol:

6. hehehh New Member

Hi,
    I checked the CTS and it seems to be faulty - at 0 C it it has about 100000 oms (should be 7000), and at boiling it is about 2000 (should be about 200). But then after some time (5 min) reaches 800 ohms. What do you think?
    Also, I talked with some friends of mine, and the y suggested to check other sensors. I should probably try this also?

7. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

If the CTS is that far out of spec I would change it before you even bother to spend time checking other sensors. It sounds like it could well be the problem.

8. hehehh New Member

Yeah,
    The only problem is that nobody had it in stock and I had to order it. It will come no sooner than Friday afternoon.
    So in the meantime, I do not have much to do than put back together the injection and check other sensors.
    Also, I left the sensor in a boiling pot on the stove for several minutes and now when it stays at room temperature, it reads about 3000 ohms - which means about 10 to 20 degrees Celsius. This is the strangest sensor I have seen.

9. hehehh New Member

Hi,
    Today I put back the injectors in place. If you had told me that it is so hard to put them back on, i Would not have checked them.
    Anyway, I checked the airflow sensor - it is just merely out of spec - the resistance between terminals 3 and 4 is 400 ohms, but is supposed to be between 500 and 1000. Do you think that it is a problem?

10. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

No, I'd doubt it - I recently checked them on both my GTi's and neither were exactly within spec. As long as the vane inside it moves freely and doesn't stick anywhere. The injectors can be a bit awkward.... new o-rings help, as does a smear of lithium grease. But at least you've got them on now!

11. hehehh New Member

That is what I thought also.
    Yes, now I am happy and a bit proud of myself. And of course thank you vary much, I would have manages to do it without your help.
    I now have one more problem. I noticed today that because of the extra high oil level ( I guess that the pressure has been too much) I now have a fairly heavy oil leak. Do you have any suggestions which are the weekest points that I should check first?
    Thanks again

12. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

I'd check the sump and crankshaft seals - high oil level doesn't lead to high oil pressure, but if the level rises above those seals (and your oil will be thinner than normal because of the fuel in it) it might leak. I'd try changing the oil first, undiluted stuff which isn't overfilled might not leak at all!

13. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

But don't go using good oil - just the cheapest you can find, until you solve the problem. No point ruining expensive oil. And don't bother changing the filter.

14. hehehh New Member

Thanks again. It seems I am getting better thanks to you because I thought to do just this.
    Cheers,
    Hehehh

15. hehehh New Member

What about the seals? Are they tough to replace?

16. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

The sump gasket is easy, but the crankshaft seals need a lot more dismantling. It would probably be easier to add a bottle of seal improver to your oil if the leaks don't stop once you have changed the oil. If that hasn't worked after a month or so I would think about changing the seals.

17. hehehh New Member

Thanks.
    I bought a little bit thicker oil to see if it will help.
    I want to ask you about two other sensors. The knock sensor is in pretty bad condition- its all rusty and the wire is all cracked. Should I bother changing it?
    And the oxygen snesor - if it is not working, the only problem is higher gas consumption, right?
    Thanks again

18. Jettin' Forum Member

I would change any knackered sensors as they help to keep your engine running correctly.

19. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

The knock sensor won't be causing your problems, and it's expensive to change. Solder up the connections if they are actually broken, and maybe undo the fixing bolt and retorque it to the right value. But that won't be causing it. If the oxygen sensor isn't working the ECU should default to a standard "limp-home" mode - I can't see much chance of that being the problem but it's probably worth changing it anyway.

20. hehehh New Member

Is there a way to check these two sensors?