Golf failed MOT. Brake Imbalance among other things. NEED ADVICE

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by chaos_vw, Aug 1, 2013.

1. chaos_vw New Member

Well finally decided to get myself another vw and friend had a MK2 Gti in his garage.
    Took for an MOT today and failed on : Parking brake efficiency below requirements (not a problem)
    : Brakes imbalanced across an axle and Rear brakes imbalanced across an axle. How do i fix this ?
    Thats about the worst of it apart from seat belt anchorage corroded,and few other silly things likes bulbs,headlight adjustment,windscreen washer and battery insecure. Oh and the emissions were too high on the CO 5.06% instead of 3.50% but i was expecting that as car hasn't been used in a couple of years,hopefully an engine flush,new oil and filter will sort that out. I dont think this is really too bad its just the brake thing that worries me slightly. Any advice greatly appreciated.

2. twolitrepinto Forum Member

Brake imbalance could be caused by ceasing calipers and/or sliders, sometimes the pads just cease into the carriers and will not move and start wearing at an angle. as the car hasn't been used for couple of years i would just check these things first.
    sometimes you can get away with pushing the pistons in, get someone to gently pump the brake pedal to push pistons out (not too far!) and squeeze them in and out a few times, on the rear you will need to wind them in as you probably know. also could be caused by rusty discs, take it for a good run on the way to MOT with some nice hard braking.

3. twolitrepinto Forum Member

also should mention, do not be tempted to work the handbrake while the rear calipers are off, only work the handbrake once it is back together and the brake pedal pumped up, or you risk killing your calipers.

4. lard44 Forum Member

A good brake bleed might help - cured my rear brake efficiency and imbalance.

Come to think of it, on a car that's been stood a few years the first thing I'd want to do is overhaul the brakes completely - pads, discs, fluid - if your time and money allow of course.

MUSHY 16V likes this.
  5. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

both my mk2's had a imbalance dont think you can do much about it
    it's the way the pipes are run but most of the time it's not a problem if the brakes are in good working order

as said above by lard i would overhaul the brakes new discs and pads all round
    if it's been sat for a long time i would replace the rear calipers i used to try free them off but it was a waste of time i just get new ones now less hassle in the long run

and as said above changing the fluid is a must if you as me

6. turbotommy Forum Member

Sticky/seized rear caliper would be top of my list to check for. Whip them off and re-grease the sliders etc..
    What ever you do though,give the brakes "death" on the way back to the MOT station,burns off the cr@p & rust and helps them work again,which is 1 reason they seize in the 1st place,lack of use.
    Also check for rusted/seized handbrake cables,2nd on the list.

7. chaos_vw New Member

Thanks for all the advice was going to change brakes anyway just hoped I could of done it after the mot. Just gotta sort the emissions out hopefully changing oil will sort that out