Golf Gti Edition 30-very heavy on fuel

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by oak7ey, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Stinky (SM) New Member

Fuel consumption

Hi my edition 30 has covered just under 2000 miles and I get approx 34 to the gallon on a run from Plymouth to Portsmouth, thats driving at a reasonable pace.
    This I feel is very good for the size and power output of the engine. Try Bp Ultimate (97) ron, mine seems to love it.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  2. SteveS New Member

i have the ed 30, to full tank (60) i prob about around the 300 miles. my computer tells me about 28mpg mixed driving.. motorway goes up.. as it should... 2400miles on it

3. Nicky Rider Forum Member

yo even when i drive my gti mk5 like old people fook i get 29mpg average on optimax...

4. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

I'd also expect 30-34 MPG on a normal run (mixed speeds partly at 60MPH)

ideally run it on 98 Ron fuel, or above
    if you ever have to book into dealer for this issue (even with any other warranty work) he'll send you away with a consumption test

fill up tank,run vehicle next fill - up to top & record mileage on the back of receipt, do this many times will give a good idea of overall MPG
    also reset the overall MPG on the MFD to zero (check handbook how) on setting 2 will record MPG overall & average speed to back up your record figure

Oak7y :- some times you have to wait for the experts to get out from garage!, if you find any give me a shout:lol: ;)

5. Seraph Banned

Let me amend that....two Ed30 owners on here now!

At least actual owners/informed others are posting now, who have experience of the car's mpg.

6. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Make that three, Claire (golfgirl) got her ED30 Monday.

It's only done about 180 miles or so, and mpg reading on the MFA is in the late 20s...

I thought it would be better tbh, hopefully it will improve with more mileage on it.

7. MAT ED30 New Member

make that 4 lol i get 300 miles to a tank and on a good mtr way run 350 ish and mines done 6k since sept lol. i did have a trial map on mine and got better mpg 34 mpg not 28mpg and over 300bhp:p

8. sportline Forum Junkie

it amazes me how poor new cars are on fuel. fair enough its a performance car, but its only a golf gti, its basically a family hatch, 300 miles to 60 quids worth of fuel???? thats 50 miles to a tenner!!

to put it in perspective, my mk1 gti gets 80 miles to 10 quid. ok its alot lighter and not as fast, and not as many toys, but. its design is 30 years old. all of a sudden it doesnt feel like weve progressed that far in 30 years.
    in fact, we havnt. which is why i drive a mk1.

infact if im honest, the only real progression weve seen in the golfs is suspension and ride quality/handling, which is miiles away from what they were 30 years ago. apart from that, the rest is just weight and luxury. a bit of extra speed but at the cost of turning it from a cheap car to a rather expensive car to run.

arrrgghhh reminising. lol.

9. MAT ED30 New Member

its all about safety now so a heavier car but the best thing is get the car mapped and get the fuel sorted out so you dont need to push the car hard to get better mpg.

10. Seraph Banned

Sold mk4 then?, or mk5 on tick?

11. gtijon Forum Member

My MK2 does about 33mpg and it's an 8V. My 16V never ever went above 28 but that was running a bit sick.

And you have to bear in mind that when you've got a new quick car you cane it everwhere fora while :lol:

Late 20s doesn't seem bad for something with 230 horsepower and probably 1400 kilos to lug around.

12. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

i would just be happy i was driving an ED30 tbqfh!!!

If you bought it for MPG then you got the wrong car.... lets face it, whether it is 25, 28, 32 MPG its still crap!!! I would probably not be getting over 15 out of it.....

but then thats why i drive a diesel vectra most of the time

13. MAT ED30 New Member

260BHP stock ;) and over 300 bhp mapped [:D]

14. SteveS New Member

260 stock???

15. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

You sure??? I thought they were ED30 (as in years of GTi) and they gave it another 30bhp over standard... hence 230 bhp....

16. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

17. Seraph Banned

Is definite. UK cars came with 230ps.

18. MAT ED30 New Member

sure dont they run the new audi s3 engine and turbo and ecu as confirmed from any tuner like awesome gti and super chips. its the same for the seat leon cupra they run the same engine and turbo and ecu as the S3 and have all been on rollers at 250ish [:D] . get in one and you will know there is no way it has 230bhp.I know awesome put a brand new cupra on the rollers and got 240bhp from a car that had 200miles on it and then the car came back a few months later and had more milage so the engine was not as tight and got 260bhp.

19. Seraph Banned

Ok, lets rephrase that. Ed30 is 'marketed' as 230hp!!

After some research from Ed30 owners, I'd concede to actual power being as high as 245, but not 260.
    You have a RR printout I take it?!;)

20. aimee

aimee Forum Member

She's sold the R32 [:^(] but the e30 is a gorgeous replacement! :clap: