Golf Mk2 16V GTI Idle Control Valve

Discussion in '16-valve' started by mk2-16v, Feb 7, 2009.

1. mk2-16v New Member

Hi there guy's,

I am in need of a Idle Control Valve as i have been told from everyone who has had a look at the poor old girl. Its a G-Reg 1989 Mark 2 Golf GTI 16V.

Problem:
    Every time I start the car she fires up and idles at 2200 Revs and stays there and if i then tap the throttle it then cuts out. Every time i drive and slow down to a stop I.E. slowing down to stop at traffic lights it cuts out. Its annoying and its starting to bug me.[xx(]

How much dose this part cost from VW?

Is it worth paying VW for the part? (I would think so.but not entirely sure)

Is it worth the second hand part?

Is replacing this part fairly easy or Dose it require a lot of intelligence to do. I am spanner friendly and would like a challenge. I feel that I am confident in taking this task on. :)

All help is much appreciated

Many Thanks

Mark2 16v:thumbup:

2. mattkh Forum Member

Hi
    Dont. They will want 150.00

3. pigbladder Forum Addict

how many people have looked at ? not many places understand the k jet system anymore and just guess at random parts to cure it

locate the isv ...its the cylinder shaped thing at the passenger end of the rocker cover with a few hoses on it , whip it off(only a couple of jubilees) and soak it in petrol for a while to clean it out , then re fit and report back on if it buzzes or not with the ign on

could be some kind of simple set up problem or an air leak

4. markb16v Forum Member

you might as well clean the end of the idle screw at the same time and check the microswitch on the throttle body is being touched when you close the throttle

5. jamie_16v Forum Member

have you got a mate with a 16v you can borrow one off. with the ignition switched on the isv should buzz/vibrate. try e-bay, i recently sold one on there for 30 but make sure the seller can confirm it works!!!

6. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

Really?!

I have one you can buy, came off my K-Jet setup before I went bike carbs :)

7. jamie_16v Forum Member

REALLY! started it at 99p and the next day some chap was desperate for it and asked for a buy it now 30! was well chuffed!

8. t'mill Forum Member

They usually sell for between 10- 20 on ebay. I used to keep my eye on them when I had a Rado. Well worth sourcing just as a spare.

9. jamie_16v Forum Member

search these item numers on e-bay, 250371718326, 110349419420. theres a couple on there at the min!

10. mk2-16v New Member

Guys apologies for this late reply and I appreciate all help and advice.

So guys it could be the isv which needs a good clean, I will try this hopefully sooner then later and will get back to you once I have dont that but before I go ahead and do this where the hell is this thing lol sorry I might sounds totally clueless but im still learning, I have put a picture up of the old engine bay which decides to start and then go to sleep again lol. The idle screw is dirty.

The bad thing is I have no friends who have a MK2 16V 1.8GTI like mine 

The engine bay picture:
    [​IMG]

Many Thanks

Mr MK2

11. mk2-16v New Member

Guys appreciate all the hlep I have changed the Idle Control Valve and its still running like a pig starts and then dies again as normal.

what do i do guys???

12. mk2-16v New Member

I cleaned the Idle screw and also soaked both isv's in petrol made sure they were all clean inside and then used both of them the one i got of ebay was buzzing but the old one which came with the car did not.