Golf Mk2 Blower Motor water leak?.

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by KeithMac, Dec 20, 2022.

1. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Hello all, I have seen evidence of water leaking into the blower motor and dripping out of the bottom.

What's normal fix for this, I presume there is a seal somewhere (under scuttle tray?.).

Are the seals still available, any good suppliers recommended on here for them?.

Not managed to remove anything yet but car lives outside so could really do with the bits to fit same day.

It seems to have saturated all the woolen sound deadening (who's idea was that fitting a sponge under the carpets!).

Also can anyone recommend decent quality door and boot seals/ supplier for a 3 door Mk2 Golf?.

Cheers all.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

first check is simple, open the bonned and look at the plastic water deflector. if its cracked or missing water will just drop straight down thru the fresh air grille. look at the drain holes at either corner of scuttle as well, if leaves block these water will back up and it'll seep thru any small cracks/gaps in the scuttle area. there is a seal under the fresh air grille as well it could be that has gone allowing moisture in. but usually its not too much of an issue if the deflector tray is good and drains clear

3. saladman

saladman Paid Member Paid Member

I had a similar leak - plastic scuttle cover is cracked and leaky and can't find any decent replacements online apart from this one here which is a bit smooth-looking for me:

http://www.swgmotorsport.com/asps/ShowDetails.asp?id=272

I ended up removing the plastic filter grille / cover and smearing some silicone sealant kinda stuff around the old foam seal and this seemed to cure the issue. Will probably be a nightmare to remove in the future but I didn't have time to wait for a replacement foam seal. If you can't find a new one I guess you could cut one out of some foam sheet given it's a simple enough shape.

Fan was a bit squeaky once it dried out so I removed it from under the dash and sat it upside down on the bench overnight with some 3 in 1 oil soaking into the bearing - cured the squeak and still quiet 2 months later.

Good luck!

KeithMac likes this.
  4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

5. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Thanks all!.

My plastic shield is still in good condition and the drain holes are clear.

I've ordered a VW Heritage seal (thanks for the link) and will give both sides a smear of Suzuki Three Bond for belt and braces.

Hopefully blower motor has survived!.

6. saladman

saladman Paid Member Paid Member

If it hasn't it's easy to take out and oil or replace :)

KeithMac likes this.