Golf mk2 fuel pump upgrade

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Schalke04, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Schalke04 New Member

Ok so I've been reading for months and haven't found any definitive answers. I'm looking to run 500hp or there abouts on my 20vt mk2. Originally a digi 2 8v Rv so fuel pump definitely isn't up to the task. What I want to do is upgrade fuel pump but keep it in standard accumulator. Is there any pumps that fit? I originally wanted the 034 Motorsport walbro 255 drop in pump but they apparently don't sell that anymore :(. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

2. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Just use the in tank pump as a feed to an inline pump. That's all I did and fuelling is no longer an issue.

fasteddie likes this.
  3. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

As above that's what I have done on my mk1 caddy and also going to do on my mk2 build running genuine Bosch 044

4. Schalke04 New Member

Do you guys mean have 3 pumps? Or delete the swirl pot or whatever it's called? Because want to keep the swirl pot so I don't get fuel starvation around corners. Really want a drop in option :(

5. Schalke04 New Member

Bump. I really want the drop in 034 motorsport walbro 255. Surely someone will have one they no longer need :(

6. notenoughtime

The lift pump will feed the external 044 or two then into a filter and forward to the fuel rail will be adequate

7. Jommanjo Forum Member

^^^ But there's no swirl pot in that system. Will a lack of a pot cause fuel starvation when low?

I have the 044 as you say, but with a 1L pot mounted under the car.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  8. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

In tank fuel pump man enough to supply the suction demands of a 044 x 2 when approaching 500 ps of fuel flow?
    I get 300 bhp as I run that myself but surely not 500 ps?

9. Schalke04 New Member

I want to keep a swirl pot, don't want fuel starvation. I don't really want to go aftermarket swirl pot if I can avoid it, makes my life easier if I don't

10. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

For lifter pump I saw a post on facebook where they took the stock lift pump assy and binned the oem pump in favour of a higher flow unit, there is a reasonalbe amount of room to do this so you shouldnt struggle.

For the swirl pot side of things what my mate did on his was to use a mk3 filter carrier, then strap a mk1 kjet fuel pump on 1 side, and a post-84 cab/rocco/g40 shape polo swirl pot on the other. I only have a piccy of it mid way thru production, but you get the idea:
    [​IMG]

to plumb it up fully the left connections top to bottom are:
    1 - return to tank
    2 - return from engine
    3 - feed from lift pump

the mk1 pot pot is available again from vw heritage:
    https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/533201511A/fuel-filter-digifant-square-rectan-mk1-golf-cab/

11. notenoughtime

image.jpg

What about something like this, would fit in the original place

12. Schalke04 New Member

I've grabbed a alloy swirl pot that I should be able to make for in oem location and it fits the 040/044 pump. So I'll see how I go with it and post results for others to see once I've done

13. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Is the swirl pot part of the main pump assy under the car?. I was going to bin all that but may not be a good idea if it performs swirl pot duties.

What about a K-jet main pump assy, how much can these handle?.

Both my pumps are scrap due to been stood 10 years..

My GTO-TT runs twin Walbro 255's and they can handle anything you can throw them (running 6x1000cc injectors at the moment).

14. Schalke04 New Member

I believe k-jet Gti was 60mm pump, so a Bosch 040 or 044 should replace these from what I understand. I may be mistaken and only 16valves had the 60mm. But that's usually what people do, that's what i would have done if i had te larger pump

15. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Yes the plastic box serves as a swirl pot. the stock kjet pump can cope with a fair bit of power, its spec is 127litres per hour @ 5 bar.

Not sure the bosch 44 will fit a mk2 housing as the lip on it for the mk2 retaining nut is quite high up compared to the mk2 so it may bottom out in the housing? Certainly the diameter is 60mm so its possible if the lip position isn't an issue!