Golf MK3 GTI 16V ABF Little Brown Air Hose

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Pulgalouka, Apr 19, 2023.

1. Pulgalouka New Member

Hi all,

first post here and first VW ever, more of a BMW guy.

Anyway, need some help, bought the car after it stood for nearly 6years, so I am in the process of bringing it back to life but I am struggling to find out where this little brown air hose coming from the side of the air filter box connects to. Someone mentioned under the filter box itself, but it made no sense and there is no nipple there. There are two hoses coming out of the filter box, one is goes to the throtlle body, but the second one.. I have no idea.
    Any hint and with a picture would really help.
    thank you

PS: I cannot upload the picture, as its on my laptop storage.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the vacuum pipe you mention is for the warm air flap in the lower half of the airbox, so you should find a nipple on the bottom for it somewhere :)

3. Pulgalouka New Member

Hi Rubjonny,
    thanks for replying.
    just to clarify, on the bottom half of the air filter, got that. but is it inside or outside? because there is nothing on the inside, the only one in there is already used to a T-piece and the nipple is a bit bigger than this brown pipe. I will remove the bottom half of the air filter box and check under it.
    still a bit strange to have a air hose coming from the top of the air filter housing to the bottom of it, it just doesnt make a lot of sense. I will have a look on sunday and report back.
    thank you

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

best I can find. so you have pipe from throttle body to the air temp sensor on airbox, then from there to the warm air flap unit
    C201298.jpg

5. Pulgalouka New Member

thanks once again.
    I now see what you mean. From the pic above, that little pipe goes from the side to the bottom of the air filter box. So the seocnd one (there are two coming from the side of the air filter box) should go from the side to the throttle body.
    on mine, from the the bottom of the filter box is connected to a T-junction by the firewall... so previous owner must have made a mistake.
    At least I now got some direction to follow. thank you very much