Golf mk3 GTI Sunroof Problem

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Bazil, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Bazil Forum Member

Hi all im a newbie and need a bit of help.
    Ive got a 1993 Golf GTI 8v mk3 and im having problems with my sunroof.
    One day it was work fine and the next day it didnt work at all. Ive tried a different sunroof motor and a different sunroof switch but it still isn't working. Can anyone help me?

Thanks

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

can you still open it with the winder?

i doubt anyone can help you. if you do a search on here, i dont think there is anyone that fixed it lol

3. Bazil Forum Member

Yes i can still open it manually.

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

mine is the same at the mo and its really annoying. was perfect last year but i didnt use it over the winter.

the connector to the motor has about 6 connectors. how does that work? so wierd.

and no one knows what goes on with it.

there are no fuses or relays it seems either

5. a8 tech New Member

You need to make sure you have a good live and earth at the multiplug,you say you can operate via emergency allen key,was it sticking at any point or free.Ill take it that its free so the regulator is ok,try looking at the cog on the reg were the motor gear locates.Also with the motor removed from the reg connect the multi plug and make sure it works electrically.Wierd

6. Bazil Forum Member

I was told it might be a relay but when i was told it was relay 23 i spent about a hour under my dash and didnt find any relay 23.
    I have tried other motors and switches but it still does not work. Ive also taken the motor out and tried running it just to see if the cog would turn not still nothing.
    I really dont no what it is????????

7. Bazil Forum Member

Hi all.
    Ive still got my sunroof problem but today i spent about 3 hours in my car trying to sus out the problem. I found out that the sunroof switch and the motor are working just fine.
    I connected a wire from the switch (the black and white wire.think its the LIVE) to the motor connector switch (the red and black wire) and it works. So now the sunroof works but its constently live. I must have a short somewhere?

Can anyone help me to try source out where the short/problem would be so i can restore it to the normal working way?

Thanks

8. fjuk New Member

Sunroof Mk3 ('94) - no control.

Hi!

I have a sunroof on my '94, and it sort of works.
    I can open it manually using the umbraco, and when I want to shut it, I can turn the cover over the umbraco-hole and it will automaticly close neatly (read: the motor works fine - that's not the problem).
    However the controls doesn't work and I can only open the roof manually.
    I have bought a new switch (integrated in the cabin lights), thinking this could solve the problem. No such luck.

So... What else could be wrong?
    Is there some sort of control unit on the roof that may be broken?

With kind regards
    Troels-Henrik
    Denmark

9. leroy_ELLIOTT New Member

the relay for the sunroof is usually locatode under the back seat next to the roof control unit

i had this similar issue with intermittant roof usage, and i located the relay i think that somebody has previously stuck a relay from a 3.5 (no. 156) i dont know if they are fully compatible but it seems to work most of the time, but certianly the houses dont match.

i am going to go to GTi world in Edinburgh and ask them for the right part. if they still give me this non-fitting 156 relay then I know it is a lost cause, if even VW gets confused my this issue.

i think the relays are acutally the same in mk 3.0/3.5 but the housing is like 1mm out and the clasps dont meet as they should, so i dont think the contact points work as they should.

10. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Bit of a thread revival this one ;)

11. leroy_ELLIOTT New Member

@rubjonny

you know mate, that's the thing about getting into VW's, they trancend all time and space.

12. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

And inaccurate, as far as I can tell anyway. The only one of my hardtops with sunroof that has anything under the rear seat (except dust, glitter and sweet wrappers) is an a**omatic, with the transmission ecu there.

For anyone stumbling across this thread, all the sunroof 'logic' stuff seems to be contained on the circuit board attached to the motor. The wiring for it has a continuous 12v supply and ground, since the roof can be closed from outside the car, using the key. The switch sends an ignition-on 12v over one of three wires (for Open, Close or Tilt), and the external closure is linked to the elec. window wiring (where fitted); it remains dormant until all windows are seen as closed.

Most likely as a safety feature, the motor doesn't operate while the cover over the socket for manual operation is open.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  13. NoNeed12 New Member

Hi lads,
    I've just got a '94 Mk3 (no electrical windows, manual door locks), the sunroof acts strange.

Sometimes it can tilt out (I assume the motor works) but nothing else is possible. I still am able to manualy close it with the allen key. And yes, the tilt works only "sometimes".
    If I go too far with the allen key and "roll" in the sunroof, then I can hear the relays(?) somewhere next to the motor clicking while playing around the sunroof switch (I assume this means, that the switch is OK), but still no motion on the glass.

@Dougie , You mentioned the cover open. But how does the circuit "see" that the cover is open? Does it act like somekind of circuit breaker? [:D] (I dont have the cover anyways)

EDIT
    I've "listened" the wires that pin into the motor and the only one that is responding to the switch is the 2nd one (i think it was the yellow one), when switched, there are 12V on the wire. 1st, 3rd and the 4th wires are at dead 0 all the time.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020