Golf mk4 GT TDI 115 / 130

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by cocobay63, Jun 14, 2007.

1. cocobay63 Forum Member

Hi there im thinking about changing my car for the Golf GT TDI Mk4 is this a good car to buy what shall i be paying for one and what should i look out for, currently driving a mk3 golf GTi but need something abit better on fuel, i want either the 115 / 130 model because it has the 6 speed gearbox,

2. Seraph Banned

3. cocobay63 Forum Member

Ok thanks

4. speedy1 Forum Member

I got my 130 last year. Couldn't beleive the difference on fuel, and it still goes quite nicely. Easily get 55mpg and sixth gear will see 80 @ 2k and 85 @2.2k!. I have had 635 on a tank, thats briming it and running on the red light. Servicing can be expensive, but hey. Make sure cambelt is done (expensive job) and i beleive the water pumps are ok upto 80k?. The only think i don't/didn't like was the wheels, so ive changed those. Family like it too, son says theres loads of space compared to the Impreza i had before.

5. Seraph Banned

i'd get the pump done with the c/belt at 40 or 60k.

6. Paul_TDi Forum Member

I beleive that to get the 115 and 130 models with the 6spd it has to be 2001 or newer?

When I was looking for mine I found that most cars older than '00 had less BHP.

I'd advise buying from a reputable dealer with a good warranty. I'ved been very unlucky with mine and thanks to a rubbish dealer I'ved had to fork the costs myself totally around 1200 now to get the cooling sysem sorted.

Dont let me put you off though, it's a fantastic car to drive. I spend many hours driving for work and social life and never get a sore ****...gotta love the seats!

7. cocobay63 Forum Member

Thanks guys first off need to get rid of my Mk3 Gti then find a diesal banger for a month or so to get enough money or take out a finance deal, then i can get one ... anybody want a Mk3 like the one in the Sig below, >?????

8. Seraph Banned

the 115s switched over to 6speed in 2000, and the 130s only came in 6speed when introduced in 2001.

9. JettaTDi

JettaTDi Forum Member

Mines a 2000 X, PD 115bhp, thats got the 6 speed box.

Suspensions a bit soft, but at 86000mls I suppose it's lasted well, although it's getting uprated shortly. Alloys are also getting uprated. Also after the suspension been done, it's going in for a remap which hopefully will take it up to the region of 150bhp, then I will then uprate the intercooler.

I regularly get 45 - 50mpg with my heavy right foot, also insurance was very reasonable 180 fully comp with Admiral.

Just check the condition of the clutch pedal, as there is a part at the top near to the bulkhead that breaks. I think it's the weld that lets go. Mine went 6 days after I got mine, which was sorted under warranty.

I paid 5800 for mine last December, and I will be keeping it for a while.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  10. cocobay63 Forum Member

Cheers guys, my Mk3 will be going up for sale over the weekend then will start to look around, what about the Audi A3 TDI 110 ? anygood or stick with the Golf ?

11. inoakgreen Forum Member

my mates brought an 02 gt tdi 130 and thats got 5spd, but then another mate of mine got his 51 bora 130 tdi sport with 6spd!! i cant understand this and can only presume that the bora was specced up to this when new!!!

but this impressive performance and consumption. my only probs is, i personally recks when any type of car gets more popular (ie diesels), the government want to cash in on it, so they'll probably start uneccessarly hitting it with taxes galore until running a normal petrol car works out more cheaper!!!

12. Seraph Banned

are you sure?

i have it on good authority that all 130s are 6speed

unless the box has been retro fitted?

13. johng New Member

Clutches are an issue due to the high torque. Wear quite quickly. Managed 50k miles on standard clutch in my 130. I'm not particularily hard on the throttle either. Upgrade the power and you will need an uprated clutch then you need to start looking at the flywheel. Great car but can be quite costly if timing belt, clutch etc need replacing.

14. Paul B Forum Member

Dunno what other people have found but my Bora TDI is in need of new rear beam bushes and front ARB bushes...the car has done 106K. My Dad's Toledo had done 76K when that needed new rear beam bushes so be aware of clunking noises from the suspension.

Some early 130bhp TDI Audi A4's were 5 speed (my Dad had one) but I don't think any of the Golfs/Boras are. Beware of people telling you the engine is something it's not. Naughty salesmen might try and tell you a 115 is a 130...always check the engine codes

Last edited: Jun 16, 2007
  15. inoakgreen Forum Member

definately 130gt tdi pd on 02 and 5 spd. workmate also has passat tdi pd 130 on a 02, thats also a 5 spd.

when we was looking out for the golf on ebay, local papers, autotrader etc, phoned a few and all 6spds were advertised as such - generally if it didnt say on ad. the no. of gears, when enquiring we found them to be 5spds. obviously we didnt phone all ads.

16. Seraph Banned

^odd

theres no practical reason really to fit a 5speed box to the 130 golf - its a step backwards.

17. inoakgreen Forum Member

go onto www.richmondcarsales.co.uk - click on stocklist (should be 61 cars at present 13:45 18/6) - was the 12th car in black gt tdi130 on an 02 plate, the one with 18" alloys and 108,863 for 6495, checked photos and also states on ad has 5spd. also on autotrader (6495, 68 miles from leics)

18. Seraph Banned

Indeed it does, it just doesn't make sense

19. cocobay63 Forum Member

Thanks guys, ive taken note of alot of what you all have said very useful, ! just awaiting a sale on my GTi then will start searching around, can anybody tell me what the A3 TDi's are like because they seem to be holding there Value alot, !