Golf MkIII Immobiliser & key

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Garyd, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Garyd Forum Member

I understand that when buying a new key the transponder has to be coded to the immobiliser. This requires the use of vag-com and vag-tech I believe.

Can anyone tell me whether the transponder from one car can be recoded to suit another immobiliser or is it a 'once only' operation? That is, can I re-use a second hand transponder?

I have fitted an AGG engine into my Transporter so don't actually need the Golf key, only the transponder. I have only one key and need to create a second or spare.

thanks
    Gary

2. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

If it's the correct type to match the transponder. If you can get another key for the golf from a locksmith. Code the key to ecu with vag tacho. Then get get a key cut to fit the transporter and swap transponders over. I only say this because I'm not sure if the transponders are the same type.

3. Garyd Forum Member

The Transporter key is a plain, flat metal key. No plastic cover or transponder. I will be using the Golf 3 immobiliser and receiver aerial ring (around the key barrel).

Am I likely to be right in thinking that all MkIII Golf keys are going to have the same type of transponder? If I can get a second transponder coded correctly (preferably a 2nd hand one re-coded) I will bond the transponder to the Transporter key with resin or something.

thanks
    Gary

4. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

You will need a matched immo box and key 1st , before you can code a second key. Why can't you use the key you have already and attech that to the ring ?

5. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Just hide the Mk3 key behind the transponder ring, and use your Transporter key as normal... ;)

6. Funky Diver Forum Member

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

what is the code on your key blade? HV/AH/?? If its AH code then you can buy a MK3 AH key blank with chip from ebay or the dealers, get it cut to your locks and then swap the working chip into it.
    or as above chop your key up so it fits a MK4 type flip fob. However rather than getting a gen vag fob which wont work with your locks, get an rclick.co.uk central locking kit. They are available with MK4 type fobs, and since it comes as a kit you can fit the cl to your van. The rclick fobs have a space inside for the transponder chips, this is what I have done on my MK2 :)

To code another chip you need vag-tacho to get the SKC for your immobiliser box, this will only work if you have a matched key in the ignition (or, a matched chip stuck to transponder ring with ignition on :lol:)
    Then you can use the SKC to add more keys with either vag-tacho or vag-com.

8. Garyd Forum Member

Thanks John for confirming that with Vag-com and Vag-tacho the transponder can be re-coded to match an existing one.

All the AH keys I have found advertised are without transponders. Looks like I will have to go to dealers and fork out 25 to get one!

cheers
    Gary

9. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

May need to go to a decent locksmith shop. I've bought one b4 containing a chip for around. 15

10. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

So did I - no way to get the chip out though, it's moulded in.

11. Garyd Forum Member

The one in my existing key is a loose fit in a moulded compartment in the plastic key top. It may originally have been glued in place, perhaps.

Garyd

12. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Think my one had a red section that could be pushed out with a paper clip or jewellers screwdriver.