golfmk2 light switch

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by sift21, Dec 16, 2007.

1. sift21 New Member

hi there im after a light switch /module for a mk2 1.8 gti .any one out there have one or knows where to get one,im not having any luck where i live,any help would be appreciated as ive only got side lights at the moment.thanks ,sift21

2. oldskooldub Forum Member

I'll have one somewhere, I'll have a dig tomorrow and let ya know..

3. sift21 New Member

thanks for your help.hope yo can find it

4. Collie Forum Junkie

theres 2 types i know of...................different number of pins if i recall

5. sift21 New Member

ill let u know how many pins,thanks

6. mk1beast Forum Member

i tink theres more than 2 mine almost set my car on fire last week [}:)] :thumbd: i would phone gfs there 16 disconect the bat b4 u change them over cause mine shorted on on the little dash screw underneath [:^(]

7. oldskooldub Forum Member

What year is your car sift21?

8. sift21 New Member

its a d reg,1986/87

9. sift21 New Member

thanks for that info mate,wouldnt av thought of dissconecting tha battery,thanks again

10. oldskooldub Forum Member

Alright, I've had a rummage and ive found two different types I have got one with 11 pins and the part number 191 941 531 M this one is the same as the one on my 90 spec 8 valve Gti and i've got another one that has got 9 pins and the part number 191 941 531 C. I suspect this to be the earlier one if you want it you can have it, I think it's ok wouldn't have kept it other wise. But I do want to keep the later type as a spare. I did take a pic but didn't have a clue how to post it. so count your pins and let me know mate. What area are you in.

11. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Yup - plug in the wrong one, and you'll set your car's wiring loom on fire. [8D]

12. oldskooldub Forum Member

Ye they look like they fit each other with no probs, but I can imagin it causing mega probs using the wrong one.

13. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

That's the problem mate - they can be physically interchanged, and hence so many people have melted a few wires because of this. So compare part numbers to be sure.

14. mk1beast Forum Member

i would still phone gfs and give them ur reg then bu will know for sure [:D] alot safer and easyr than trying to get hold of a loom thats discontinued

15. sift21 New Member

thanks,i will get back to you asap

16. sift21 New Member

ok oldshoo,it has 9 pins,thank you very much for your help.here is my address,chris salt,5,westwood road,leek,staffordshire.st138dj.let me have your address so i can pay you for the part.thanks again for your help mate.

17. oldskooldub Forum Member

Its in the post mate, I hope its the right one, only cost a quid to send it so no need to pay me anything (afterall its christmas). All I ask is that you let me know when it arrives, I have put a card in with it with my email on. The postie says you should see it about thursday. Ste :)

18. sift21 New Member

thank you very much,ive got lights,arrived today mate.how much do i owe you.thanks again mate

19. oldskooldub Forum Member

That was quick the postie said it would take ages with christmas. I take it, it was the right one then, glad you got lights. :thumbup: All the best dude,

20. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

there are 3 types of switch, 8, 9 & 11pins, and as said plug the wrong one in and your loom catches fire! Best thing to do is fit a relayed lighting loom, this will prolong the life of the new switch as it stops all the current for the lights being passed through the switch :thumbup: