Got faded bumpers? Cheap solution.

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by mk1 valver, Apr 3, 2006.

1. mk1 valver

mk1 valver Forum Member

This may have been posted before but here goes anyway.

If your mk1/2 bumpers or arches have faded to a john major like grey colour like mine had, and back to black does nothing to help, then there is a way of restoring them to a like new colour of black.

Get a blow torch, the small ones with gas canister attached which cost about 15, and whilst keeping it moving run the edge of the flame over the bumper and see it instantly turn back to its original colour.

Obviously this would be best done with said parts removed, however i was unable to remove a rusty bumper bolt so did it in situ with no damage caused to the paint, so then did the rest of the car(arches and bumpers.)

They are now very black again.

Hope this is of some help.

2. chris'sgti Forum Member

Nice.

Might work on my very faded mk3 GTi spoiler......;)

I'll give it a go at the weekend.

3. funkbaron Forum Junkie

interesting technique! Does it look patchy or anything? I've always used the auto-glym stuff, but it's messy and never lasts more than a few washes...

4. pRot3us Forum Junkie

5. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

satin black paint works for me, lasts forever.

6. mike.e Forum Member

I was advised that this was the way forward by a body shop professional.

Good to see if it's true...

7. beetie

beetie Forum Member

works with a hot air gun aswell and it's safer than a blow torch.
    Good tip

8. gti_kev Forum Member

Did you have to remove any crap off it before? I used that kiwi shoe polish and after 3 uses it fab, have not done it in around 9 months and it's still black, once a year job i recon!!

9. mk1 valver

mk1 valver Forum Member

Had already cleaned the car that day, but otherwise no prep with doing this in mind, bit of a snap decission to do it. Obviously giving them a good srub with nail brush or similar then cleaning and drying them would help give an even nicer finish.

Before doing this they were very grey, being original '85 arches and rear bumper, but now look fanstic, especially after back to blacking them.

Will get a few picks up when possible, on dial up and its not connecting properly so at 31200bps atm, which is pretty shocking.

10. mk1 valver

mk1 valver Forum Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As i said this is after back to black(done yesterday and re washed today)
    but before this it did nothing for the rear bumper and some arch trims.

Give it a go on your petrol cap first if you own a mk1, just make sure you remove it from the car.:lol:

11. Jim1.3 Forum Member

I tried this before on my arch spats and it just got soft and bubbled up, but stayed grey? [:s]

12. mk1 valver

mk1 valver Forum Member

Make sure you use one of these
    [​IMG]

And not one of these
    [​IMG]

So long as you keep it moving pretty fast you shouldnt have any problems, i didnt and had never attempted this before yesterday.

13. funkbaron Forum Junkie

the kiwi boot polish seems a good idea....might try that before i set fire to my car!

14. mike.e Forum Member

looks the dogs, good job man!

15. gti_kev Forum Member

yep looks real good!

16. allyMcM New Member

That looks fab womble. Its nice to see such a clean small bumper.

BTW funkbaron, Use the Kiwi express scuff bottle thing rather than the tins of boot polish. Its works really well

17. kirby Forum Junkie

Yeah I use the kiwi black shoe dye, it costs about 2.50 and lasts for absolutely ages.

18. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Thanks - you mean the stuff that is in the squeezy bottle with the sponge thing on top?

19. gti_kev Forum Member

That's the stuff mate, just apply in gently and give it a good 2 coats first off, allowing to dry between coats, then once dry, buff it up!

It may still look a little streaky, but next time you wash it, give it another coat and it should be fine. Mine has lasted over 9 months and no sign of grey :)

good little tip is to have a small paint brush, as the sponge sometimes can not reach back to the edge of the plastic, use the brush to cover those areas!

good luck

20. funkbaron Forum Junkie

thanks mate, i'll give it a try this week!