Got to sort this problem out

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by wolfie-is-back, Dec 14, 2003.

1. wolfie-is-back New Member

Right, this is doing my tits in now.

Car - Golf Gti Cabriolet 1.8 k-jet G-Reg

Problem - Serious lack of power through the whole car. Engine stutters and hesitates through whole rev range. this is during warm up and when the car is fully warmed up. The car is at its "best, ha" when there are no electrical items on (i.e. lights, heaters, etc...) but as soon as you turn any of these things on, it stutters even worse and power is reduced further.

Its obvious this is an electrical problem. I've tried everything i can think of. Spent yesterday cleaning up all the earths i could find. (rockercover to bulkhead, bonnet to car, earth from battery, earth from gearbox to body looks good) i've also swapped the battery over to see if that would make an imporvement but nothing.

Is there anything else i could be trying? the car has no power at all and may as well be a 1.1 saxo (yes, it's that bad)

can any one help please?!?!

Cheers

Wolfie

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

sounds like a batt/alt prob...try a voltmeter accross the bat while running,it should be 13.5 or more with all the stuff turned on
    dunno if your handy at diy but new leads can be made up quite cheep/easy if your up to it

3. wolfie-is-back New Member

this electrical problem continues. Any extra electrical item results in power loss, think it may be a dodgy fuel pump as if you put to many items on, it blows the fuse (5 in the fuse box) and car won't start till you replaced it. Had a new lift pump, filter and fuel relay in last months so i'm guessing its the pump that buggered. Any way of checking its electrical draw?