Gps Receiver For Tom Tom

Discussion in 'Sat Nav, GPS, Camera Detectors' started by salsheikh, Aug 28, 2007.

1. salsheikh Forum Member

gi guys, i have the tom tom software on my memory card and tried to use it on my nokia 6820 phone but it would recognise the gps receiver i have which worked fine with route 66 software - it is a route 66 gps receiver.

i have been told that only certain gps receivers will work with tom tom software, is this correct and if it is which gps receivers do i go for?

2. cocobay63 Forum Member

No shouldnt be the case, is it a Bluetooth GPS Reciver that your trying to link

3. salsheikh Forum Member

yep, i have a genuine route66 kit but it just wont connect to it for some reason - tried to use it when going to skegnes alst weekend and it didnt work so had to use the aa route planner which was shiiite and got lost and eventually got to my location an hour late!

4. voteforpedro Forum Member

I'm quite sure most GPS receivers will work with TomTom software. Go to your GPS device preferences and press *down* to change the selection from TomTom GPS to other GPS.

5. salsheikh Forum Member

i tried again on sunday after leaving santa pod. paired the devices together but it just kept on saying no gps found until i got home an hour and half later! either it wont work with it or its something that i am doing wrong. gonna try a mates gps unit with my handset to see if it connects and works.

6. gti8v Forum Member

the trick with mine (n73) is to turn the receiver on 5/10 mins before you need it, it then has time to locate the statalites [Del boy btw]
    Then pair your fone and go to the screen that displays the statalite signal, it needs 4* to work correctly,
    now try it,

*not too sure maybe 3
    *don't try locating while on the move it seems not to work well,
    *don't try locating in a built up area with tall buildings.
    *also check the software version number of your fone, it may need updating.

may not be correct for all fones/receivers but seems to work best for mine

7. salsheikh Forum Member

i have updated the latest fone software on my nokia 6680.
    it used to pick up signals straight away outside my house using the route 66 software, will try again later tonight to see if i can work it out.
    thanks for the advice.

8. voteforpedro Forum Member

You're misinterpreting the warning messages:

'No GPS device!' means there is a connectivity problem between the phone and GPS receiver.
    'Waiting for a GPS signal' means it has connected to the GPS receiver and is waiting for satellite information.

If you have the former message, then you need to check your Bluetooth connectivity.

Make sure Bluetooth is switched on (if it's switched off, does it ask you to enable it when you launch TomTom?).

Check your Bluetooth settings. Depending on the Bluetooth device, you may need to pair it with the phone. Press 'right' on the Bluetooth menu to access the paired devices tab and follow the instructions.

Again, in the TomTom preferences, ensure you have selected 'other GPS device' and not 'TomTom GPS'!

9. salsheikh Forum Member

thanks for that mate, i'll have a look later tonight and check which messages i am getting and will also check the 'other gps device' preference.

10. salsheikh Forum Member

Guys, finally managed to have a go at the kit again and ....got it to work, woo hoo!!!
    thanks for all your help and determination.

one more query tho, the software is on a 256mb card and i have a 1gb card to which i have copy the details over to but it splits it into various files and then does not recognise the files when i put the card into my phone. this means that i have to keep the 256mb card in the car all the time.
    any ideas on what i can do?
    thanks again
    Sal

11. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Just copy the files over (or whole folder) and keep the exact file path the same and it should work I'd guess. Make sure the memory cards are called the same. Then when your satnav looks for the files, it'll work because the path it takes is the same.

Thats what I'd guess anyway. Maybe someone can correct me.

12. salsheikh Forum Member

as soon as i put the card into the memory reader it splits the files into 7 folders which i copy over as the same but it wont work for some reason.

13. voteforpedro Forum Member

It should be in a number of folders so that sounds about right.

When you inserted the new memory card for the first time, did it say "Installing..."?

If not, then you will need to run the installation .sisx file again. Copy it to the memory card (doesn't matter where) and locate it in the File Manager.

14. salsheikh Forum Member

I Dont Appear To Have The ".sisx" File In The Folders At All.
    When I Inserts The 256mb Card It Works Straightaway Without Any Problems.

15. inoakgreen Forum Member

how did you get it going then??? had a mate with a gps receiver and it would pair with my phone, but not his!!! i think someone told him he had both his bluetooth and ir signals on, so turn ir off & bluetooth on!!! is this true?? not heard from him today prob ask him tomorrow!!!

16. salsheikh Forum Member

yes mate got mine working. make sure its paired to using bluetooth and select the gps receiver, it may take a few attemps.