GPS - Tomtom

Discussion in 'Sat Nav, GPS, Camera Detectors' started by TommyT, May 18, 2005.

1. TommyT Forum Member

I'm after a PDA with a GPS receiver with TomTom software.

So, whats the best to go for ? How much am i looking at paying ?

If i buy one off eBay do i need to pay a registration fee to use it and lock onto sattelites, updates etc.

Any help appreciated :)

TT

2. stella

stella Forum Junkie

I sometimes borrow my son's Tom-Tom (the actual unit, not PDA) It's really good, although it can occasionally take a while to lock onto the satellites, though not too much of a prob, as you usually know where you're leaving from and go in the right sort of direction.

It threw me at first, because a lot of the roads I thought were in Nottingham(city) it couldn't find, until I found out it thought they were in the county (when you're keying in where you want to go). Don't know if this applies to other places....

You can also, apparently, use it hand-held. If you like walking, presumably!

Don't know if you have to pay a subscription, as his is less than a year old yet.

Overall, I really like it - speaking as a person who could get lost driving home from work..... :lol:

3. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

deko is selling one in the calssifieds,

unless he sold it with the car ?

4. Jetta Forum Junkie

Ive got tomtom , I bought an old HP Jornada 928 wda (phone/PDA like an xda) then got tomtom 2 wired reciever and software from dixons for 40 got the cable to connect the tomtom reciever to my pda and then downloaded version 3 using kazza and bought a bigger cf card to store it on off ebay.

I also downloaded and installed the free pocket gps speed camera database and checkPOInt so it can warn me of speed cameras etc from here Pocket GPS UK Safety Camera Database

One of the cheapest ways to go is to get one of the older pocket pc based pda such as a HP Jornada 500 series or a Casio Casiopeia E-115, EM-125 or EM-500 a gps "mouse" reciver a cable to connect the recciever to the pda and power it from the cigarette lighter socket, the software and a memory card, the uk map just fits on a 128mb card, I have a 1gb card but its filled with mp3s too

5. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Ive got a complete setup for sale. Top of the range Dell Axim X30. Have a look in the classifieds section.