Grinding noise under light braking

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by MK2., Nov 7, 2003.

1. MK2. Forum Member

As the title suggests, Im experiencing a terrible grinding noise when breaking lightly, this seems to happen after ive been driving in or after we've had a good downpour and usually lasts for a bit then vanishes.
    I just put it down to the brakes being covered in crap as a result of the rain or something like that, but thistime the problem seems to be persisting [:x]
    Whats doing it and what do I do for it not to do it anymore? Ta.

2. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

when mine started grinding, i thot it was dirt so i sprayed some brake cleaner on them. didn't help.
    eventually i took the brakes apart to see why and the pads where down to the metal! right down!!

3. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

by the way, i'm not just some idiot that never checks the pads, but both the discs and the pads were only 4 months old!

4. MK2. Forum Member

I'll have to check them, in theory they should be fine as it went through the mot ok a couple of weeks back, just come back from my dinner break and noticed I also get the noise when rolling to a stop before I even touch the brake

5. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

i'd to replace mine 3 weeks after mot.

grinding noise could be bearings too tho...