GRP/Carbon body panels for road/track use

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by dubspy, Sep 16, 2015.

1. dubspy Forum Member

Hi All,

Another question to pick your brains.

My VRT MK3 will be used for a fast road/track car.

The idea was to build a fast road car that would occasionally go on tracks. This is still the case although i have been going/building very track inspired but i do not have space for a trailer etc so needs to be road legal and drive-able on long distances.

My question is i am looking to purchase GRP/Carbon body panels.. so wings, bonnet,doors and boot.

is this suitable for road use? don't want constant air coming through or rattling around as they are not fixed properly, or am i just being stupid? the panels are not just skins and have the frame with them too.

sorry in advance if i am being stupid.. i have no experience with GRP/carbon body panels before..

All opinions and comments welcome..

Thank You in advance

2. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

3. dubspy Forum Member

Think you missed the question buddy...

I have the car fully sorted. in terms of brakes, suspension, handling etc etc...

I have now been contemplating GRP/carbon Panels so just wanted too see peoples thoughts for road use..

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

^^
    The 'buddy' that replied to you has over 40 years of Motorsports experience and answered accordingly.

When you say the car is 'sorted' have you tested said car on a track to validate?

The only benefit I can see for light weight composite panels would be on the track to offset weight and center and gravity and improve handling.

Cannot see any benefit for crash protection or towards pedestrian vulnerability if the vehicle will be used primarily on a road.

Hope that helped to expand.

5. dubspy Forum Member

There was no offence intended with my reply.. was not questioning the guys experience.. as stated i have next to no experience with regards to the body panels..

It has Gaz coilovers, full poly bushed, camber adjustable top mounts, front and rear eibach arbs, full weld in cage, front and rear upper strut brace, quaife diff, hi spec brakes all round, semi slick tyres (currently working on hubs for my centre lock wheels, poly carbonate windows, will be corner weighted soon..So i think i am covering the majority unless i have missed something key out.

The idea behind the panels was for the car to go on a "diet" and lose some weight..

once again apologies if i caused any offence with my reply none was intended to HPR.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  6. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

I would not use FG doors on a road based car, hatch and bonnet definitely.
    Jon

7. dubspy Forum Member

Thanks for the advice.. will stay clear off the doors..

8. vr6smith Forum Member

Someone on here a few years ago said about fibreglass doors and tailgate let in rain, wind and exhaust fumes... As Eddie says test the car first and see how you feel. You have done a lot of modification to the car all in one lump so it's really important to see what it has all done to the car and this will enable you to spend money in the right place to develop it further.

Out of curiosity why no build thread? I'm sure we would all welcome seeing your build and what you have done, we are all petrolheads.

9. dubspy Forum Member

Cheers for the helpful advice. Appreciated.

To be honest never done build threads on any of my cars. Too lazy for it all. Once painted will get some pictures up.
    Was just a thought to do it now as the cars getting painted, than do it later and have to re paint all the parts that I was to change..

10. Lhasa2008 CGTI Regional Host

I've had a carbon bonnet on my road/occasional track car for about three years now. Huge weight saving.

I can imagine light weight front panels will make a even bigger difference in a mk3 with a VR6 lump to reduce front end weight.

11. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I doubt any offence was taken and sorry if I came across as a bit harsh.

My response was based on, you got a 400bhp 390lbft VR6 monster with what appears to be the right set of suspension components. Those bits will need to be set up and tested to make the most out of them.

Was there a basis for the route chosen? For example you already got the the limits of the previous set up on a track and you knew this was the direction move the threshold up a notch?