GTD tuning?

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by Jetta, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Jetta Forum Junkie

I'm trying to get a little bit more power out of my MK2 1.6 GTD (SB engine 63000 miles)

I'm planning on fitting a ball bearing MBC and a Tim vac/boost guage ('till I can get a VDO, to go with the rest of my instruments).

How much can I turn up the boost by, safely? (don't want to damage the turbo or engine).

Hopefully my bentley manual should arrive tommorow (Haynes is useless as they dont cover any of the 1.6 D/TD engines), will this tell me how much boost the turbo should deliver as standard?

Would turing the boost down so the waste gate opens earlier damage/wear anything out?

What filter is best to use with this engine? (cotton/foam panel or cone) could a foam filter damage the turbo like it can the G-lader?

Thanks

2. altern8 Forum Junkie

why bother its a diesel not even a tdi [:$]

3. Jon TDI Forum Member

Not even sure if the boost can be wound up on the GTDs, other than fitting a bigger turbo.
    Foam filter won't damge turbo like a G-Lader. Completely different working internals.

4. trendy tramp Forum Member

you need to think about increasing fuelling as well as boost

tt

5. shawnsg60 New Member

Try saying that to Simon cooper aka tdirs. His diesel mk 2 runs in the 12 second quarter mile times and that is a mk 2 gtd with a bit more ;) ;) ;)
    Edited by: shawnsg60

6. Jetta Forum Junkie

Thanks, shawnsg60, though AFAIK TDiRS's (Simon Cooper from Central VW) Mk2 has a a 1.9 TDi conversion that uses a 1.6 GTD turbo, diesel pump and intercooler when tuning 1.9 TDi's he uses the 1.6 KKK/Garret T2 watercooled turbo as it is bigger, the diesel pump is easier to adjust as you don't need to chip the ECU (it aint got one as its mechanical injection) and he uses the intercooler as the TDi aint got one. Im sure he fits a MBC as a bleed valve gives poor results due to the way it works, so afaik he uses a MBC when fitting the T2 to a 1.9 so surely a MBC can be fitted to a SB (GTD) engine as it fits in the line that goes to the wastegate.

trendy tramp: yes I know I need to increase the fuelling, its done by turning the torx srew on the diesel pump whilst holding the lock nut with a spanner.

I was asking on here as I wanted to know how much to wind up the turbo up by, as so far on the PVW forum I was told to turn up the diesel pump by about 1/4 turn, I just need to know how many bar/psi it is safe to turn the turbo up by. I have fitted a Tim guage vac/boost thpough I think I need a guage that just shows boost as on a GTD it doesnt give a Vacume reading as diesels dont have a vacume system. This is also why you cant fit a dumo valve to a GTD in the normal way, apparently you need to fit a microswitch to the throttle and clutch to get it to work though it doesn't give the same performace advantages that a dump valve gives to a turbo'd petrol engine (kind of like fitting a dump valve to a super charger).

7. nutter4x4 Paid Member Paid Member

without the IC around 0.8- 0.9bar, with cooler as much as 1.1 bar, but remeber to turn up the feul pump, i`l soon be doing this to me work van :p

8. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Imagine all that plaster dust going into the engine..... :lol: ;)

9. matt Forum Member

Simon cooper uses a roller bearing turbo and bespoke exhaust and inlet manifolds, made by russ fellows, mine used the gtd turbo until it died in a n accident with a lorry

10. barneytdi New Member

TDiRS's was mk4 Tdi i think and he would of had a custom intercooler.

Matt what had u done to your tdi and what bhp + torque did u get out of it. Was it easy to fit the gtd turbo? What boost could u then get out of it?

11. tdi rs New Member

My car is a mk2 and i use a charge cooler as well as a ball bearing gt28 turbo.The only part of a normal 1.6td fuel pump i use is the top every thing else is different