gti cam into driver help

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by tank1987, Nov 9, 2010.

1. tank1987 New Member

hi all i want to fit a gti cam and k jet dizzy in my 1.6 driver cananyone tell me clearly what parts i need from what car and a brief guide thank you

2. thegave Forum Member

camshaft from pb code 1.8 8v gti and cam pulley
    distributor from ev code 1.8 8v (k-jet), found in early (pre 88?) mk2 8v gti or 8v sciroccos.

to fit cam... remove timing belt, remove rocker cover, remove cam bearings, remove cam. refit cam, refit bearings, refit rocker cover, refit timing belt, align to standard timing marks.

no idea how to get the dizzy out. take off the cap, undo the 13mm bolt and then there's something somewhere you have to press in before you can pull it out.

3. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

When you undo the bolt and take off the clamp you just lift the dizzy out and fit the new one and line up the timing marks.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

nothing to press in on dizzy, it 'should' just pull out when clamp off. pretty much always stuck in the block though. make a note of where rotor arm is pointing in reference to old dizzy, fit it the same way. dizzy will spin free when timing belt is off so best to do it then as can freely adjust.

to free up seized dizzy i scrape around the lip to remove as much crud as i can, then drown it in penetrating oil. come back in half hour or so and try. if still stuck, clamp m,ole grips round shaft and gently tap it back n forth with hammer (i.e. as if you wanted to twist dizzy to adjust timing). not trying to free it with brute force, rather you want to shock it free