GTI / VR6 Cat Converter

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by kells, May 9, 2011.

1. kells Forum Member

Are these all the same size bore ?

got Bam engine for my MK3 and im unsure if i use the 8v Cat or need to source a 16v item

any help would be great

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

8v = 50mm

16v and vr6 = 55mm

3. kells Forum Member

Do u know if I can use my cat ??

4. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Bam uses 2 lambdas. Think you can go for a 2nd lambda delete and go for a sports cat. Depends on the downpipe you are using but would say your 8v cat would be restrictive.

This may work without the 2nd lambda delete. I have one to put on.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  5. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

all MK3 8v, 16v and vr6 use the same size cat, 8v has a smaller exhaust from the front silencer back, but the frotn of the silencer is the same diameter as the 16v and vr6. there are differences over the years though, some of the cats are shorter in length

7. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

My 16v cat is around 700mm long. The replacement hi flow cat is around 500mm long, so had to get an extender piece made up for it.

8. kells Forum Member

ok guys i have a guy willing to sell me the ABF Gearbox, gear selector thing, CAT and flywheel all for 150,.. what do you think?? and will i need the pedal box from the ABF or is the 8v one ok ??

Tshirt2k, where did you get that decat and how much was it, do i deffo need to run both lambdas if i run a cat, if so do i use these off the donor engine or the the one thats in my cat now ??

im new to this so any help here would be so good mate.. and the party starts in a week or 2..

Also will my car fail the MOT without a cat?? on emmisions, its a 93 car so should really have one on

9. kells Forum Member

BTW im going for a Qpeng downpipe

10. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Then the flange fitting will be different that the 16v/ vr6 one. Your car needs a cat for the MOT to pass. A BAM engine would use two lambdas if it's past 2001 upstream and downstream of the cat. That's if you're using standard management. Although I have heard of 2nd lambda delete?

Are you? Or using qpeng management too?

Bit more detail is needed for what you are running. As most on here have decat due to age of the vehicles. Don't think qpeng downpipe has a flange, just a straight pipe.

The cat shown is from 42 draft designs in the US. Worked out fairly cheap around 170 at the time.

11. kells Forum Member

my engine is from a 2003 cupra R.. im using the factory management. now looks like iv bought a full mk3 16 v abf car to break fior the parts i need

any other info you need matey ?

12. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Ok so you're using front end, gearbox, converting to hydro clutch etc. You wont be using the 16v cat if you are going with qpeng. It probably restrictive and has 1 lambda bung. You could maybe get one of those cats i suggested earlier, cut the flange off and connect to the qpeng downpipe.

It up to you whether you are remapping the ecu as you may be able to get the 2nd lambda delete at the same time. But that cat has provisions for 2 anyway.

13. kells Forum Member

So can i not use the 16v cat at all ? do i need to use the pedal box from the 16v too ??

im going to remap it also once its all fitted

14. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I wouldn't use it. If you try to. It would mean adding a flange to the qpeng downpipe.
    But by the sounds of it you just want to use factory management and remap once it's in? So you'll need. 200cell min cat with 2 lambda bungs to satisfy the management. So 16v cat will be no good anyway.

15. madmanmart Forum Member

All Mk3 pedal boxes are the same but you will need to add the hydro clutch setup to yours if your using a 16v box.

16. kells Forum Member

cheers re the pedal box matey

Tshirt2K can you supply me with a link for a CAT i need to get, Many thansk for your time btw :-)

just bought this GTI 16v, its bloody mint!!!! and runs so well even tho it has suspect head gasket fait (oil in coolant expansion tank - but engine oil looks good)

[​IMG]

17. nealey Forum Junkie

Bet its not the headgasket but the oil cooler collapsed!

18. turbotommy Forum Member

19. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I've seen somewhere the qpeng ones failing at the welds too.

The vr6 cat is from here. Depending on the exhaust you have you can get it with a reducer or 2.5" straight though.

[​IMG]

Email them for postage costs to the Uk. They'll send you a paypal invoice iirc. Very helpful.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  20. kells Forum Member

So if i use the Downpipe turbo tommo lists and the cat you list can i run both lambdas ?

this is blowing my head off haha, You are a great help mate thanks for you time