Hammerite for engine paint... Any other recommendations?

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by MrP, Nov 16, 2009.

1. MrP

MrP Paid Member Paid Member

I'm re-painting my engine in the Scirocco and have decided on hammerite due to many recommendations, easy of use, cost etc.

I was going to use the smooth stuff and was thinking about a silver block and head with black ancillaries.

But... I''ve seen some smooth grey hammerite for sale and can't find one single picture of the finish/true colour. So, has anyone used the grey and have a picture of it? My cars pewter grey so don't want the contrast not to work with the two greys.

Thanks.

Rich.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  2. Admin Guest

i have some bits in the shed i have done in it, think cybermen from Dr Who for the colour.

3. MrP

Ahh, So a light gloss grey then?

4. Supercharged Forum Member

Don't use Hammerite mate - it's oil based so completely the wrong paint for an engine!

There are far better products out there that hardly cost any more!

5. MrP

What would you recommend?

6. Supercharged Forum Member

I'd use a proper engine enamel - have a look on the Frost website...

Rustoleum is also really good stuff and much better than Hammerite for around the same price

7. MrP

Yeah, I'm a skint student so POR-15 is out of the question.

I've heard bad things about the durability of rustoleum too. I've tried the spray stuff and it's very flakey.

How come you don't like hammerite?

8. Supercharged Forum Member

Hammerite is oil based so just won't last at all, it's also not very good for painting on top of rusty bits...

Pigbladder is the paint / treatment expert on here - hopefully he can recommend something good at a reasonable price!

9. pigbladder Forum Addict

hammerite does last okay on engines...although i hate the stuff, its a pretty poor paint really

por15 engine paint would the ideal stuff , bit dear though

10. MrP

Ahh, I see. I will be prepping the surfaces very well, degrease, wirebrush, degrease again then dremmel/wire brush/sandpaper down to bare metal. I know these will rust again soon so wanting a decent rust proof paint...

Yeah, everyone says POR-15 is the best stuff to use but hammerite at 6 a tin or 20 for POR-15, student budgets eh?

Durability wise I need something that isn't going to flake, chip or mark easy. I've already sprayed my block with VHT engine spray paint and it can be marked with my finger nails.. Useless stuff.

I'm going for brush on stuff now due to being winter and have no where outside to spray.

Can you recommend anything cheapish?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  11. pigbladder Forum Addict

12. MrP

13. pigbladder Forum Addict

yeah thats the idea of painting stuff lol

if you do decent prep is should last...wire wheel on a drill and plenty of degreaser etc...paint over rot and it wont last

14. alexisblades99 Forum Member

i used acid etch primer, then high temp gloss on my engine, both from halfords, both still looking good, smooth spray finish for under a score.

15. MrP

Yeah, that was my thinking. Thanks so much for you advice matey.

You wouldn't happen to have any pictures to hand? Also, how long have you had this on? Any issues with durability?

16. alexisblades99 Forum Member

i'll nip out and take one in a bit. didn't manage to do the gearbox, as i ran out of time.
    nearly 4000 miles, no sign of heat damage. most importantly it isn't flaking off the head or inlet, i gather it can be tricky to make it stick to ally. hence the etch prime.

17. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

just out of interest - Im looking at giving my engine bay a lick of paint, if I take the inlet manifold off my ABF, is it possible to spray/paint with a brush, the cam cover/rocker cover in situ? Is there any paint out there that will give a reasonably good finish with a brush, that will last on a hot engine?

Im thinking of going with a red cam cover and a black inlet manifold, with red dohc writing! As I said ideally without taking too much out and probably with a brush finish if its going to stay in situ (plus the weather is godawful and I have nowhere to do it except under the bonnet!

18. pigbladder Forum Addict

dont be spraying a rocker cover in situ...its only a handfull of bolts to remove it and do it nicely

be faster to remove it than it will be to mask off the entire front end

19. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

thats why I was thinking brushing it on... :)

20. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

I was also thinking, if I find some brush on paint (again, anyone recommend anything? I think all the recommendations so far are for spray cans) and do it in situ, I can 'bake' the paint by letting the engine run for half an hour?! :)