Handbrake cable questions ?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by watercooled, Mar 6, 2023.

1. watercooled Forum Member

Having a cold beer outside yesterday and notice something wierd with right hand brake cable droop underneath the rear ???,could I have a short one and long one fitted ?
    Questions ;
    this is a Corrado ,but pretty certain it is standard mk2 platform think they would be short ones ? ,
    are the correct cables ( whatever type ) the same length ?
    seem to remember the mk3 are the long ones or was there a change later on with mk2's life ? ,
    handbrake works ok but still not 100% even on the lever cable balance plate ?,
    been right thru the foot brakes and all good ,just needed rust burnt off the disks.
    TIA with comments,cheers.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

corrado have 2 cables available depending on age, 1H0609721A up to August 94 and 1H0609721E from then on. both are MK3 part numbers but same length according to etka 1613mm. mk2 golf are longer at 1625mm, assume would still fit but maybe not depending on the tube under the car

could just be one is aftermarket version which may be a more generic part suitable for more models or the retaining clip under car broken, or just needs a tweak to the routing to sit a little better

3. watercooled Forum Member

The differance I have is more than you mentioned so I can only resume the RH side cable isn't locater properly in the body...thought I had checked that but it was a while back,I need to change the rear muffler so will check that then,many thanks.

4. watercooled Forum Member

Sorted ,cable on RH had moved when checking brakes because the spring retainer has popped off the rear subframe @ some stage and I didn't see it,bugger but never mind it as now done,oh and I checked the cable holders and cable ends into the car and all was fine ,cheers.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

cheap fix then :thumbup: