Handbrake console removal on early Corrado ??

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by watercooled, Jul 4, 2022.

1. watercooled Forum Member

Trying to remove it so I can adjust the handbrake cables,the plastic trim on the back of the lever seems to be the issue ? how do you remove that so the console will pass upwards over the lever to give access to the cable ends ?
    TIA,cheers.

2. watercooled Forum Member

Well finally got the bugger off,what a mission,found my handbrake issue the RH cable is too short so that's the reason for imbalance and weak handbrake.
    Disconnected the cable off the caliper and it moves easily with no binding,caliper piston moves onwards about 1 to 1.5 mm when tested on the cable lever,piston can be rotated in the caliper bore.
    One thing I did notice is the cable hangs down under the car more than the LH side so thinking the outer may not be engaged fully where it passes thru the floor pan ?.
    I have 38mm Girling calipers with good condition pads and the whole brake system has been flushed with new Dot5 Castrol fluid
    Or do I have a issue with the caliper as I understand its a problem with these ? , I can honestly say I have had little to do with these except for converting one of my mk2's using mk3 calipers to good result.
    TIA,cheers.

3. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Having the incorrect length cables is quite a common issue unfortunately, so it is worth finding what they should be.
    Do you have the 2 little white plastic hangers that support the cable underneath the rear seat area. Also do you have the correct spring clips that fit in the rear axle for support too.
    Worth a check, but glad you have found the issue

4. watercooled Forum Member

Cables are the same/correct short ones I believe,seem to remember the differance between the 2 types is a lot,I'am about 13mm too short on the RH one.
    I managed to even up the droop in the cables underneath but of course that only moves the outer and the inner has stayed short.
    At this point I can't see a way to get them equal,the attachment plate @ the cable ends has to be square and no getting around that.
    The handbrake holds but when I undo the wheel bolts the wheel turns on both sides ,don't think that right.
    I need to get right underneath today and have a check as you mentioned.
    Thanks ,will report back,cheers.

5. watercooled Forum Member

Just to add the cables are behind the lever not under it like the long ones ok,
    Underneath everything is in order with the cables so thinking it might remove the LH wheel and see whats going on with that side as I need to check the position of the lever on the caliper...someone could have played with the stop bolt maybe ??.
    Edit with update,jacked up the LH side and performed a test with handbrake and total fail,can I wind the pistons in or out to get them even,or do I need the special retractor/expander tool for this which I don't have but could maybe hire one ?.
    Really running out of sensible solutions and frankly getting pissed off:thumbd:.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
  6. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

I'm no expert on these early calipers as I changed my Corrado to mk4 golf items. I do have an early mk2 GTI which I have just refurbished all of this, but had no issues in doing so.
    If you Jack up the car, does the foot brake hold that side okay?
    If you are struggling and no answers here, post up your issue on the Corrado Forum. They are a very helpful bunch like on here

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
  7. watercooled Forum Member

Good point on testing the foot brakes however I have no one to help me do that,maybe I will chuck a piece of wood between pedal and seat.....when the rain stops,man what a wet winter we are having and you guys are baking.
    Cheers.

8. watercooled Forum Member

Continuing bodywork theme,the paint on my bonnet has a really bad case of clearcoat peeling which is very common in my country with darker colour cars.
    Plan is to remove the bonnet for re-painting however the factory sound deadening is toast and making a mess falling off on the the engine,got out the vaccy and just sucked it of...filled a whole bag with the crap,still have base glue to remove but will do that when the bonnets off and upside down.
    Been having issues with the new altenator belt not tensioning enough and its been a PITA so I found a short one in my parts and cut the welded on adjustment system to my bracket...worked a treat and issue over.
    Decided to tidy up my headlights as the adjusters were somewhat crappy and broken,cleaned up RH and used JB weld on adjuster and that got it working fine but knew the LH side one was going to be a mission due to a previous owner bodgy job,the adjuster just crumbled in to pieces,searched through my bits and modified a plastic part I found,locked it from turning with screws and sealed with black windscreen sealant another win,real happy but a lot of work.
    All small steps but no more backwards ones so that has to be good .

Attached Files: