Has anyone kept their fried ECU?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by EZ_Pete, Oct 16, 2010.

1. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

You know the old chestnut, earth to gearbox unconnected/corroded, ECU fries and turns the injectors on full time...

Just been reading about Digifant system on Wiki - whilst looking for something quite different - and it mentions this problem. Says that 'a specific trace on the PCB burns out', which sounds quite repairable to me.

Has anyone local to me got one which has failed in this way, that I could have a go at fixing? Or anyone less local prepared to let me have one for postage only? I won't be able to test it myself, so you can have it back to try if the repair looks promising. I work in electronics, so should be able to make a good job of it.

I know they're not hard to come by secondhand, but if it's a relatively easy fix, it might make sense to have the info on here.

2. Blue MK2 Forum Member

Try fitting one of those superchips on a blown ECU maybe?

As a test

3. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Not as simple as that. It`s not the chip that blows, it`s one of the tracks on the PCB.

Quite readily repairable, but ECU repair companies always charge a fortune (I was quoted 250+), so picking up a second-hand one (mine was c.50) has always been a much more viable option in that respect.

If Pete can repair (or provide info how-to) for less than the price of a second-hand one, then that can only be a good thing. :thumbup:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  4. neil kaye Forum Junkie

looked into this myself,found some burnt pcb and a diode cracked in half ,repaired it ,still no good,went to scrappy got one for 20 quid problem solved
    still would be interested though to find out the fault and the cure,ill dig around cause i think i may still have the ecu somewhere pete

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

interestingly i had poor earth issue and car would click, then not start. fixed earth and car fine. yet open ecu a year or so later and find burnt out trace. not hard to fix if you have steady hands and suitable single core wire, heat solderpad and poke wire thru, tin it back up again

6. neil kaye Forum Junkie

here is my attempt,i repaired the track and the diode but still didnt fix it [:^(]
    pin 19 was the track burned,pin 19 is earth ,rocker cover ??
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. mk28vICED Forum Member

got several :lol: blown ones here I can send for postage cost. problem is there's one that works too! not sure which is which!
    Ill have a look at the weekend when Im about and pm you.

8. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Cheers fella. Neil's trying to find the one he's pictured, but isn't sure whether he binned it.

All offers greatly appreciated. If I can get a few it would be good to see whether the damage is always the same/similar.

:thumbup:

9. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Bump for a busted ECU.

Go on, it's not doing you any good. I might be able to send it back to you as a working spare...