have i "dropped" a massive bol*ck??

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by PB-1981, Jun 4, 2012.

1. PB-1981 New Member

hi guys, hoping there are some folk that can offer some advice through experience, ive just snapped up a set of bilstein shocks and apex springs for my 16v from ebay the ad says they provide a drop of 40-50mm which is a little lower than id normally go but at the price they were on for i thought id give them a go!

my question is, is that kind of a drop likely to cause scrubbing or catching of the arches? im running on a set of bbs (off a bmw, as came with the car) on 185/60/14 tires and would rather keep a deeper tire if possible but i guess i could go down a size or two, just wondered if someone could offer some guidence, also considering doing the suspention swap myself, ive done a nova, before i saw the dub light, and my old vr6, the VR was a pain in the butt to swap but they were cheap knackered coilovers and im currently on oem shocks and springs, any thoughts on if there may be some pitfalls doing the swap id appreciate any help going,

cheers,

pete

2. slammingrandad New Member

the offset for bmw rims makes them stick out more than a set with the correct vw offset.that is why they are rubbing.

3. PB-1981 New Member

nothing is scrubbing YET as ive not done the drop yetbut can i take it from that you think that they will catch?

4. slammingrandad New Member

im sure they will catch but would be nice if fellow club members can chip in there thoughts.the reason bmw wheels go straight on the hubs of older vws is that the pcd is the same at 4x100 but the offset for bmw 4stud 3series is 15to25 and your mk2 has a offset of 35to45

5. PB-1981 New Member

so ill need to get some new rims.....if ever there was a reason lol, in the mean time ive got a set of bbs ra's fitted to my mk3 golf estate tdi which im sure will bolt straight onto the gti and then the bmw rims could go on the estate maybe

6. slammingrandad New Member

the mk3 4studs will go on yr gti no prob.i woudnt put the bmw rims on any vw without the correct spacers and wheel nuts.if your using the wrong wheel nuts when putting the bmw rims on the vw they dont go into the hub far enough,hence i would say this is dangerous.

7. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Might only be a 30-40mm drop on a 16v because they are lower than other mk2s standard.

8. PB-1981 New Member

I've no idea to be honest, the eBay ad said they had come off a 16 valver and they thought it was a 40-50mm drop, I've been looking at a set of 15" Estoril on eBay as a swap for the BMW bbs

9. turbotommy Forum Member

You might get away with it though,i run Apex springs but my rubbing is due to 10mm rear axle spacers on sebrings (195 50 15 tyres)

10. slammingrandad New Member

195 45 15 tyres will allways help with a little extra space,i run these on a 120mm drop on my polo gti.

11. jamesa Forum Junkie

What is the offset of the BMW wheels ?

Mine were ET30 so I had 5mm machined off the inside face, not forgetting to recut the `angle` in the centre bore.

(Mine are used on a Mk1 GTI)

12. PB-1981 New Member

I'm not sure on the BMW ones but I've just seen a set of 14" on ET36, seems I might be having a hold on the drop as the suspension turned up and one of the shocks is badly damaged on the threading, nothing quite like getting ripped off :(

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012