Have to hold key to run engine!

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Cat88, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Cat88 Forum Member

Hey all, developed a very odd issue completely out of the blue tonight.
    Car cut out at the petrol station and I managed to start it again after a bit of strong language, then when I stopped it cut out again and I could only keep it running if I held the key between ignition and engine idle. Nearly broke my hand but I got home.

Am I right in thinking ignition switch?
    It starts fine, just dies the second I let go of the key.

Its a mk2 1990 1.8 8v carb auto.

Cheers

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I woukld say almost certainly yep! to test run a 1.5mm+ test wire from the battery to the coil live side, there is a spare spade you can use with a blank plug on it. if the car fires and runs perfectly after that, then look at the ignition switch and wiring.

its unlikely to be the switch wiring with these symptoms but you can test this easy enough, unplug the switch and loop a thick wire from red to black to switch on the ignition, and another from the red to the red/black briefly to crank it on the starter. if it fires up and runs then there you go.

or you can just order the switch anyway, then try it before you fit. plug it into your loom and turn it with a screwdriver :)

Cat88 likes this.
  3. Cat88 Forum Member

Cheers mate, Ive ordered a new ignition switch as it was a tenner.
    Would happen when I need to work and it snows again [:x]