head unit question

Discussion in 'ICE' started by adi8v, Dec 11, 2003.

1. adi8v New Member

I've just installed a component set in the front of a mk3 and although i'm running them off the HU at the moment i've got an amp on the way which i'm going to use instead. Since the amp will be connected to the HU via the phono leads I was thinking about disconnecting the standard rear speakers from the HU. Will it do the HU any harm if the only outputs it has connected are the phonos to the amp?

Thanks

2. Madbloke Forum Member

No harm what so ever m8 --- go straight ahead.

Remember not to pound your new speakers straight away as they will need to be run in over a few weeks.

Make sure the old speaker wires cant ground or touch together though -- ensure they are insulated

3. adi8v New Member

Ok thanks for that. Yeah the old wires from the front speakers have been taped up. The read speakers will still be in but I just won't have the connector in the back of the HU.

4. Steve B Forum Junkie

yeah as mad bloke says thats fine, some more expencive head units dont even come with speaker wires just phonos, and some with just digital audio outs

for the last year or so ive ran both my front and rear speakers off just the rear phono and adjusted the levels on the amp's

but thats going to change with my new speakers as i want to be able to adjust it all from the headunit this time.