Headlight dimming resistor?.

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by KeithMac, Jul 25, 2023.

1. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Hello all, on with fitting all front end back on my Mk2 16v.

When I had it in bits there was a resistor bolted to o/s frame rail near headlight, I seem to remember this does "daytime running lights"?.

Is this a requirement for MOT or can I just leave it out?.

If I have to put it back in it will be a sealed equivalent as the original is past it's best.

Just confirming that's it's function?.

2. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Interesting question... I left mine in, but did read plenty of posts at the time from different sources that recommend you bin it.

I got the impression it was more to do with them being susceptible to causing electrical fires than the fact they're old tech. and no longer used.

Something about the wires that hang over the ridge on the chassis leg can chaff / short out, ( which does look possible) rather that the thing itself failing... easy fix was shroud them in plastic conduit.

As to being a MOT requirement, can't answer that unfortunately.

KeithMac likes this.
  3. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

It's for that 80's caper (which held on into the 90's), 'dim-dip' lighting. With the ignition on and side/tail lamps lit, the resistor supplies a reduced voltage to the dip-beam filaments. I don't think it's a necessity, though it did see a f**d company car of mine pass the MoT with a side lamp bulb failed, as the lighting check was made with the engine running.

The later Mk.3 also had them, and a recall checked the wiring, as Zender mentions.

4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Fcuk it as far away as you can, then go look for it, and fcuk it further away.

Cressa and KeithMac like this.
  5. KeithMac Forum Junkie

In the bin it goes then!.

Tristan likes this.