headunit losing memory

Discussion in 'ICE' started by gtiballs, Jun 6, 2010.

1. gtiballs Forum Member

I have read on here somewhere the solution to this,but can not find it anywhere,so i think this is a re-post.

everytime i start the engine i have to preset all the radio stations,bass,treble etc etc.

do i join the yellow and red wires together?
    just wanted to make sure first before i go blowing fuses[:s]
    its a jvc single cd headunit.golf gti mk3 8 VALVE:thumbup:

2. tones61

tones61 Forum Member

wires

hi mate,im pretty sure the yellow wire has to have a permanent live feed,even when ign keys removed,as its the memory wire?,hope this helps,

:thumbup:

3. gtiballs Forum Member

Thats wat i thought.im gonna give it a go tommorow

4. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

swap the red and yellow round worked for me :thumbup:

5. The Stig V2 New Member

Would this still apply to an alpine unit? If so... I'll be out with the screwdrivers asap

6. JJ VDUB Forum Member

yea this still applies to Alpine.. BUT BIG ALPINE WARNING WITH VW GOLF!!!
    The newer Alpine head units do no switch off, even when u turn off the power button, they are on standby.... this means they draw about 110 milli amps, even when you turn the headunit off, this will kill your battery in a week or two.. or at least drain it significantly.

With most cars this is no problem, as the switched live, from the ignition key means when the key is out of the ignition, the head unit gets no power.

HERE is the problem. Mk3 Golfs, and possibly other VWs, the headunit does not have a switched live from the ignition.

The solution is to solder a switched live feed from the ignition barell and run it all the way to the headunits switched live... This is obvo hassle.
    OR as i did, fit a switch, in series in the red 'switched' live on the headunit loom and fit the switch in the blank next to the headunit..

the switch then turns the headunit on and off, obvo the permananent live is connected as normal, so the headunit still maintains all its memory, but doesnt kill your battery [:D]

this problem only arrises when you put VW + Alpine.. the problem doesnt occur with most other headunits in vw... or alpines in non vw group cars.......