Heavy rocker

Discussion in '8-valve' started by ev nutter, Aug 23, 2008.

1. ev nutter Forum Member

Was doing a job replacing the rocker gasket it wouldnt stop leaking.

And fitteg a spanking new rocker gasket oh and while doing this the f in top hat bush split for the breather pipe.

When i looked beneath the cover i found the head to be spotless which is odd cos usally when ive removed rockers b4 the head has been black with tarnished oil

Does the images ive got here show a fault or do they usally look like this. Ive nvr taken one off a gti so i dont know if this looks right

The cams looked ok but what you all think. Could this be the reason the ebgine has been on the noisy side i mean its good its not full of tarnish but it looks too clean to me

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Looking good all the same[|)]

2. ev nutter Forum Member

Any info welcome just wanna know

3. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

I`d agree, it does look a bit `clean`.

How long has it been noisy? Guessing it`s probably the tappets, due to not enough oil getting up to the head.

The cam doesn`t look too bad, but the pics aren`t too clear TBH...

4. ev nutter Forum Member

Thought top one wasn't too bad. But yeah the images arent the best but you can see some of the detail

TBH 3month but no oil light probs put a new switch on day b4 not because it was faulty but becuse the plastic casing had gone brittle.

The switch fitted is OE so i can rest with some reassurance that pressures are ok but ive thought for a bit it sounded like the strainer was blocked
    But i had been changing the oil with mobil 1 i know that the sump should come off once in a while but ive not had any probs other than the noise not affecting performance pulls well gonna change oil again this week and sling a pump on and clean the strainer

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  5. ev nutter Forum Member

Forgot to mention 138k on the clock

If the pump was struggling the oil should in most cases have became a burnt on tarnished oily glazed head that even fairy liquid would struggle with

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  6. Mike_H Forum Addict

Looks good to me... although I can't see the detail on the pics. If it's been regularly serviced all its life, and been flushed occasionally, then it could well be that clean.

However, if it's a bit noisy, you want to get an oil pressure gauge on it first, and maybe drop the sump off for a look at the oil pump and pickup.

If the pics were clearer, I'd be looking for heavy scoring on the cam lobes or tappets. If there's any of that then they need changing.

If it all looks OK, then try some ATF to see if it cleans out the tappets.

7. mk28vICED Forum Member

thats looks way too clean to me although i just work on digifants but can't imagine oil delivery to the head should be any different. can you start a ket with no rocker cover like my mates 1.3 carb? ;) if you get covered in oil you'll know you've got no problems!
    :lol: not too such how the head sprays with oil think there are squirters underneath the cam and as it come out the whips it round everywhere! check they arn't blocked!!!

8. ev nutter Forum Member

Im almost certain theres pressure for the reason when i remove the oil filar cap i get covered in oil but ive not had the sump off myself but i will be for sure.

I did feel at the cams couldnt feel any scratches spun the tappets they were free but did have some drag to them but werent sticking removed the cover not long after having been on a run up the mway so there was still some oilpressure behind the tappets

Has any one poked holes in there strainers i know its not recommended but doesnt the system run inthat the pickup drags it to the filter b4 it reaches the pump thus removing the large solids b4 hand. or does it run the other way?
    Or is there a stainer already avaliable so i dont need to do this?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  9. ev nutter Forum Member

Anyone else found theres to be like this

10. StuMc

The filter is after the pump.

The strainer stops any large particles going through the pump, though smaller stuff will, to be caught by the filter before entering the system proper.

11. ev nutter Forum Member

So some wider holes arent gonna work then

12. Mike_H Forum Addict

I wouldn't poke holes in the strainer, no.

I've found nuts, gravel and washers in the bottom of sumps I've taken out. the strainer stops them from getting sucked into the oil pump.

13. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

This is what mine looked like if its any help...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After seeing your pics I'm thinking it might be oil flush or ATF time for me

14. StuMc

Yours looks more `normal`.

Or at least the same as any I`ve ever seen...

15. ev nutter Forum Member

looks like its a pump+strainer and the other bits to do then cos your looks more shet up like id imagined it to look

16. gti-8v Forum Member

....does look clean in there..... . As recommended pull the sump, strip the pump if you think it's got crap inside or slightly blocked [Put items back in the same way they came out!] If you let the strainer soak you could free any stubborn bits, as always just make sure its thoroughly clean when you bolt everything back together.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  17. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

it might have just been well looked after, my mates ABF head looked similar to that. either that or maybe it had a reconditioned head recently, or had the 'atf trick' done on it ;)

P.S. what type o gasket were you trying to fit, if rubber you need to take all the studs out and replace with non-shouldered ones :)

18. ev nutter Forum Member

i was fitting the elring cork gasket with the two rubber rings ive had it 18 months with oil

dropped every 3 month so while ive had id yeah its been looked after but i havent

removed the sump or flushed the oil in that time just have to watch this space

p.s when i remove the pump will it knock the dizzy out of time as isnt it driven off the pump?

19. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

nah dizzy will only move out o time if you take off the timin belt :)

20. ev nutter Forum Member

Thank be jesus for that im in a hole at the mo with this sod